Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2004, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Did I play these Trips right?

Ugh don't show them when they don't call!¬
Old 07-09-2004, 06:38 AM

I would bet the flop myself. Especially at the micro-limit tables. Most players at the micro-limit will check trips and then bet on the turn. If you bet and get callers, they most likely will stay with you through the river.

As for the turn, it all depends on the players. With a flush draw and a straight draw, going for the check raise could be dangerous. It might get checked through again and a miracle card could rear it's ugly head on the river. Also, by check-raising, you announce to anyone left in the hand that you have the trips. By betting to the river, it disguises your hand and you might get a lose caller to follow you with a draw, Jack's or any other pair above 3's.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2004, 08:09 AM

Bet the flop. You really have to bet the flop.

I've seen a lot of posts lately where people have tried check-raises just for the sake of check-raising. You need to factor in what kind of results you want your check-raise to have. Do you want people out by forcing them to call 2 cold when you have a good, but vulnerable hand? Or do you want them to call an extra bet when you've got a good hand that can stand some action?

The next most thing ignored is a)whether there will even be a bet and more importantly b) where that bet will come from.

If you want to knock people out, don't try to check-raise when the bet will come from your left. Bet out and hope to be raised on your left. If you want to collect extra bets, you want the bet to come from your left.

I think we all need to sit down and read the appropriate literature on check-raising (ie. TOP, HPFAP). We don't check-raise enough in the micro forum, but learning to do it incorrectly is worse.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:14 AM

Bet the flop. When you have trips, the best way to get money into the pot at the micro level is to just lead out with them. They will call.

I don't like check raising the flop for two reasons. First, it could get checked through. Bad. Second, if someone in LP bets and you raise, everyone else has to call 2 cold and they are probably going to assume you have trips. I think a check-raise on that flop is costing you money.

Check raising the turn would sometimes be a good idea, but I don't like doing it when the second club comes on the turn. Wouldn't you hate to see it get checked around again, only to have someone make their flush on the river?

When you get trips on a low limit table, the safest play (and often the revenue maximizing play) is to bet them and bet them hard.