Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Near the end of my brief Online career -Whine

what u got2 understand is that online-poker is getting much harder to beat, as time goes by. I've noticed over the last 6 months(300,000 hands) my win rate has decreased and I've improved quite a bit in that time. Its all the new books and information about.
In 5 years from now low limit poker will be domminated by chinese and indians grinding it out for $5 a day (which will be good money for them)
Best to stick to home games.
Good luck
Old 12-16-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if you are so set in these ideas, then you were right about one thing...online poker is not for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Don't understand the Weak-Tight comment though. Were you referring to my not slow-playing sets?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very sorry about this. I wrote my reply in haste and misread that sentence.

[ QUOTE ]

I think a 150 BB downturn is significant.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's painful, sure, but it's not terribly uncommon. You will experience these down turns if you keep playing. The trick is to weather them without driving yourself nuts.

Again, sorry for misreading earlier. Stick with it.

Regards,

T
Old 12-16-2005, 01:24 PM

I was in a similiar spot like this at the end of September. I had through June and July deposited a total of 600 bucks and towards the end of Sept I was down to 14 bucks in my account! Since then I changed games, from NL to Limit. In a month of playing that I went up to about 150 or so and then played a couple of 5 buck MTTs and ended up placing 4 and 5 in two of them and now have almost won back what I have deposited.

Moral: even though things look bleak you still can do it. You might want to look into changing what game you are playing and moving down levels.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:00 PM

Update:

I dropped down to .10/.20 because that's all my BR can take now. The Poker gods have had a nice joke with me. Last night my luck turned around I had a 50BB profit. The joke is that at .10/.20 that is only 10 bucks! I was hitting almost all of my draws, my big pocket pairs were holding up...everything that wasn't happening at the higher limits. I guess I'll grind out the micro limits until I get back where I started.

Question:
I just started poking around with PokerTracker and found the following to be interesting. Looking at the profit/loss by position report, I'm ahead in every position except the blinds. In the big blind, my forced bet amount is $650 and my total loss for that position is $320. So in the blinds I lose about 50% of the money I'm force to put in. What should this ratio be? Is this a leak or is that typical? The small blind numbers were much lower and the loses were mostly insignificant. If I could only avoid the blinds this game would be easy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2005, 02:12 PM

What you're seeing is very typical. You will always be a loser in the blinds. I see the same things in my stats as well over a much larger number of hands. Looking at those numbers along with the rake you paid can be really depressing.

Congrats on the win.

Regards,

T
Old 12-16-2005, 03:49 PM

It sounds like you've got a pretty good attitude about this despite losing. Dropping down to fit your bankroll is a good step. One question though. If you've been successfull at 10/20 for two years why not have a bigger online bankroll than what you bought in for. Surely you don't sit down at a live 10/20 game with only $100 in your pocket. Also, if you're new to playing online I would've gone to an easier site to start out with than absolute.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:29 PM

Regarding the small BR:

This is the way I approach every venture in life. Start small and test the waters, then increase the investment if it shows promise. This may not be the correct approach for Poker.

Another reason is that my BR for live play is in cash, so my wife doesn't need to be intimately involved in the details of how much money is involved. The deposit mechanism for Online play however, shows up on the credit card statement and thusly is more overt. Not that she would mind, but that would give her license to spend even more than she does now.

My plan was to withdraw $200 from Absolute and take a stab at other sites, but I played a few too many sessions and now that's on hold.

I'll be heading up to Foxwoods next week. If I do well, I might throw some more money at online poker and give Party a try.

Bill
Old 12-16-2005, 04:43 PM

I see your reasoning for the small BR and I also started with a much too small BR for my limits. Luckily I never had a big downswing in the beginning and was able to make a go of it. Stick with it, if you do well at foxwoods, throw some more in it and play to whatever BR you have. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:39 PM

Interesting, I was recently commenting about a similar problem lately at Absolute.

Did you happen to notice that there was a huge influx of European players displaying their skills as manics in your game? That is what I noticed and now I am fairly convinced that is why my stack crumbled.

I know how to play a tight game against a manic but the tables I was at had 6 manics, 2 rocks and one normal player.

With that many very loose agressive players in the game the schooling effect was slowly knocking out every decent hand I had. I was playing limit at nano stakes since I never made a deposit on Absolute and had a little cash from them for helping with a registration issue. That was and is all I need to play there but I am going to be smart and wait those guys out a little before I return to the site.

I know it is not my game, I recently racked up a win deep into the money at BODOG during the Industry Partners Private freeroll tournament while testing the new BODOG beta software. Made a nice chunk of change there for 3 hours play and waded through some decent players along the way.

Don't give up be patient. Stay away from absolute for a while and then come back after this bunch of persistent fish thin out a little. They will not be there forever playing like they do.

Monty