Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Deposits by New Yorkers

Sorry if this has been covered ad nauseum, but I couldn't find it using the search utility.

I live in New York, where the State Attorney General has convinced the major banks and credit card companies to refuse deposits to gambling sites and Neteller.

I know there are New Yorkers playing online, but can't figure out how to make a deposit. I've tried all of my credit cards to no avail. I use a credit union for my personal banking and they won't participate either. Any suggestions?

Bill
Old 11-15-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Deposits by New Yorkers

Many people fund a Neteller account by linking it to their bank account. Then they use the Neteller account to fund poker sites.

I didn't do this because I didn't feel like linking my bank account to Neteller and because I didn't feel like opening a 2nd bank account just for poker because I'm a recreational player (if I were a pro or semi-pro, I would definitely set up a 2nd bank account and link it to Neteller).

So, what I did was fund a Party Poker account using the "Global Connect" calling card option from their deposit options. Basically, I bought a calling card using my credit card, paid a fee (I forget how much, 5-10%), and funded my Party account.

Then, I funded a Neteller account from my Party account (I had to call them to get this set up) and since then I've had no problem setting up new sites or transferring between sites.

This may not have been the best option, but it worked...
Old 11-15-2005, 03:43 AM

Use firepay to deposit, and cash out with IGM checking or whatever that is, and if you can't cash out that way they can always mail you a check.

Worse comes to worse you can deposit by personal check also, and if they won't accept PERSONAL checks, money order or cashiers check...?
Old 11-15-2005, 01:42 PM

Slighty off-topic, poker players need to stand up to this kind of treatment. Until now I'd generally had a favorable impression of Spitzer, and he's probably going to win fairly handily, but if I lived in NYS I'd be phoning his gubernatorial campaign to let them know they've lost my vote.

Vote Libertarian, then we can all be free to use our money as we wish.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:56 PM

I think you missed my point. Banks in New York won't allow payments to gambling sites. I don't think Neteller accepts money orders and the banks won't issue a cashiers check to Neteller etc.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:08 AM

any checking account at a major new york bank should be able to do EFT's with neteller back and forth without a problem, and for no fees. you don't use credit cards or physical checks. just make sure it's a full service checking account, and not savings or money market. also it helps if you can check your balances and view transactions online, for verification purposes.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:48 AM

Playersare is right. EFTs from a checking account to Neteller and vice versa are the way to go. I've never had a problem with getting my money. And, incidentally, if Spitzer is the one responsible for this b.s., he's lost my vote too.

--Scott
Old 11-16-2005, 03:35 PM

Open an online bank account. American Express has a good one. Also, INGDirect has one. The state cant prevent you from transferring there and they wont prevent you from transferring to Neteller.

Its not a perfect solution but its something.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:52 AM

I've got a debit card associated with MC. I've been able to deposit using that. Otherwise, I've struck out.