Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Pushing with AA and KK

Follow Ed Miller's short stack strategy as detailed in GSIH, and let the math do the work. I've been using it in some very wild NL games and it definately works. You don't have to sweat out the decisions because Ed has made them for you. When your Aces get cracked you haven't lost much. When they hold up you usually triple up or better.

It's quite elegant in its simplicity.

Bill
Old 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM

yeah i might start playing short stack for a bit. the hits on my bankroll have been pretty signficant. my bankroll is not big enough for the long run - i should have followed advice and started with $2k bankroll for NL 100.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:00 PM

How is it smarter to play short stacked rather than move down stakes where you can buyin with the proper amount (and play against worse players)?

If you're getting your money in with the advantage, I don't see why you wouldn't want a max buyin stack. And if you're not rolled for the game, then you're not rolled for the game! Move down and grind it out.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is it smarter to play short stacked rather than move down stakes where you can buyin with the proper amount (and play against worse players)?

If you're getting your money in with the advantage, I don't see why you wouldn't want a max buyin stack. And if you're not rolled for the game, then you're not rolled for the game! Move down and grind it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried the 50 NL and was bored out of my mind from the weak tight play. I tried 50 NL again last night. Sat there for two hours and made $5.25. And this was after brining up a few tables and letting PT get stats on them for a bout 30 minutes before I chose which ones to sit at. 100 NL is looser and more fishy IMHO (people push with AT, etc). I'm a winning player at 100 NL (BB/100) except for the pf pushes with AA/KK gone bad.

But yeah I know what u're saying about bankroll. $2k is a bit steep though . . . but if that's what it takes, so be it.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:32 PM

Hey man, I'm in the same boat. Took a shot at the 100's, got my br up to adequate, and then ran into some tough luck which inspired some shitty play. So now it's back to the 50's (or maybe 4table the 25's).

When I first made the jump from the 25's to 50/100, I thought the same thing, that the 100's were fishier and easier than the 50's. After spending some more time there, though, I no longer think this is true. There are indeed a lot of donks at the 100's, but table selection is crucial.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:11 AM

"How is it smarter?..."

Read the section about playing a small stack in "Getting Started in Hold'em" by Ed Miller and you'll know why it's smarter.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:49 AM

30 minutes checking out a 50 game is far too long to bother.

Just sit at any old table, figure out if its good while there, and leave if you dont like it.

30 minutes checking ... some of my sessions last less time than that