Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2004, 11:00 PM

Default JJ at tight table

I hadn't been at this table very long (and didn't stay very long), but the players were clearly pretty tight, usually folding to a preflop raise.

I'm wondering if anyone would have played this one harder or given up earlier, or if you'd do it about the same way I did. I would have played it a bit differently if I'd had a little more time to think about it.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls,

Flop: (4.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 6.25 BB, between BB and Hero.</font>
Old 07-08-2004, 11:52 PM

Default Re: JJ at tight table

If he is so tight, why call it down, I would put him on something like KQ or AQ there
Old 07-09-2004, 12:10 AM

Reasoning is that the only caller is the BB, who only had to call with a single SB, and thus doesn't need a superior hand to call, even when playing tight PF. We're in heads-up play, and it's too easy to bluff out your opponent for me to want to drop a made pair for an overcard and low pair on the flop immediately. When the turn comes up, it seems quite improbable that I'm facing quads, so I have to decide whether or not he has a queen. He very well might, but he very well might not, so I keep calling him down.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:13 AM

Did you lose the hand?
Old 07-09-2004, 12:14 AM

No, I won with the full house. Opponent had king with low kicker.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:18 AM

If you didn't think he had a Q or 2, or wanted to test for it, I would've 3-bet the flop, that'd scare him a bit
Old 07-09-2004, 12:22 AM

This is good play heads up. Bet the flop and just call him down when he checkraises you. Except ...

Bet the River behind him! Do not let him take a free showdown from out-of-position. In theory he could checkraise you but this never actually happens at 0.5/1. He has to call with a smaller pocket pair or a four and he is likely to call with an ace or even worse. This is easy money. It's why position is so important in poker. Don't miss out on your just due.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the River behind him!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I disliked about my play when I looked back on it. He might have had me beat the whole way down, but when he lets up on the river, he's telling me that I've got him and he missed his draw. The only reasonable thing to do at that point was bet, and I let it check through. I'm not sure if he would have called, but why give a free showdown when it seems obvious I'm ahead at that point?
Old 07-09-2004, 12:31 AM

When you get checkraised heads up in this situation you are usually losing but often not. You cannot just fold because of the money in the pot, but you need to be careful. The best strategy is usually to just call him down. When you are behind this avoids getting reraised and minimizes the loss. When you are ahead you encourage him to keep bluffing or betting a weaker hand instead of warning him that he is in trouble and should fold. Thus you lose the least when you lose and win the most when you win.