Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Looking on the bright side

My main grudge with the players is that they were not taking care of me out of kindness, but out of a need to save face. One player remarked, when asked by my friend at the table, "Ok, twenty, but no more." They said nothing when they tipped me, and some of them threw the chips at me.
I was feeling lousy enough, made sure I didnt say one damned word about the whole thing, and just hoped they would be nice and "take care of me." I never asked, nor did I make some convoluted arguement, "Had I posted you would have never hit. Therefore I deserve some." I made sure I never said anything like this, because frankly, it is just plain desparate groveling. So their tips, which were like $20 off of $2000, and the mannner in which they flinged them at me unwillingly, at the behest of my friend, made me feel like a cheap groveler. I really felt like throwing them back at the people.

-J
Old 11-20-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wasnt expecting to get any money from those people. I was just seriously disgusted that it managed to go off while I was waiting to post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only skimmed this thread (sorry if I'm repeating someone) but it seems that the answer suggests itself: if you're going to get so worked up over not winning the jackpot when you're dealt out of the hand, THEN DON'T WAIT TWO HANDS TO COME IN AT YOUR NATURAL BLIND. Sheesh.

FWIW I believe Miller et all in SSHE published the opinion that it doesn't change expectation much no matter when you come in. I usually wait one hand but no more than that. I presume it also depends on the preflop aggression of one's game.

Still, if the BBJ was enough to weigh on your decision to play, it seems like it would cause you to play the extra two hands. To save a blind you lost out on a table share of the jackpot -- results-oriented thinking at its finest. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly wrong. If I post and come in early, all the cards would change and we wouldnt have hit. In my OP, I was saying that looking on the bright side, it was good for me that I didnt post. Had I posted, I would have missed out on the $250 in "found money" that I received. Although not as good as the $2000 table share, had I posted to get in on the hand, we probably wouldnt have hit the jackpot anyway.

-J
Old 11-20-2005, 10:57 PM

"made me feel like a cheap groveler"

No your ingratitude at the fact that they gave you anything at all should make you feel like a cheap groveler.
Closed Thread