Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: The Replacements

I used to go see the Replacements all the time. One of the more interesting shows I was at might have been the first time I saw them live. It was at a West bank bar called the Cabooze. Back then it was much more of a biker bar than the college hangout it became later.

The band was not being well received by the bikers but the few college kids in the place (me and my friends) were lovin it. I think this was just after Sorry Ma came out since that was the first one I bought.

Bob Stinson was wearing a dress. Him and Westerberg were way into their bottles and were really [censored] around on stage. I don't remember who started what, but the two of them started fighting on stage. They were writhing around in a drunken brawl on the stage and Bob's ass was hanging out because he didn't have anything on under the dress.

The bouncers ended up cutting the show short by throwing the entire band out of the place.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:33 PM

i got to see their 2nd last show (a free show at Summerfest in Milwaukee), when they did the most non-rock n'roll thing a band could do; they went on EARLY. classic.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whiskeytown, and others-

Who did "Closing Time?" It got a lot of local airtime and I think it's burned into my brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

semisonic
Old 10-08-2005, 12:57 PM

Thanks, twankerr.

Now I know who to curse whenever "now gather up your jackets / move it to the exits" pops into my brain.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mid-level band.

[/ QUOTE ]
I want the mask back.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Best show I ever saw in a bar was Los Lobos at Mason Jar Phoenix 1985-this was back when LosLobos rocked hard. That punk scene back then thu was pretty rough-everyone was so wasted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw the Violent Femmes in Phoenix, and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. This was before anyone knew who they were(83 maybe), and they came out on stage at this hardcore punk show with Pink Tu Tu's on, and holding huge dildo's. People were throwing [censored] at them. They started playing and tore it up. They killed it. I grew up during this same period in Orange County, but would go to see my relatives in Phoenix. I saw more than a few shows at the Mason Jar. I was also lucky to live close to the Koo Koo's Nest, which had its fair show of great punk bands play.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:43 PM

yeah I'm from New Jersey originally my hometown favorite venues were CityGardens in Trenton and Maxwell's-home turf for The Feelies, Yo La Tengo and other Hoboken bands-always was one of the best venues in the country.

I talked to the owner of Maxwells in early 1990's about possibly buying the place -he was looking to sell it.

I used to write down all the shows I'd seen.

I saw Battalion of Saints-from SanDiego one night at Mason Jar-the guy od'ed on stage.
Here's abunch of other great bands I saw that Idint mention before. Youth Brigade,Broken Bones, RankNFile,Tupelo ChainSex, Sacharine Trust,UK subs,The Exploited,10,000 Maniacs,Legal Weapon,Sioxsie and The Banshees,GangGreen,Slamming Watusis,Jazz Butcher,Dumptruck,Pussy Galore,PosterChildren,The Ramones,Db's,The Bangles,Flipper,Rockats,Dickies,Dead Kennedies,PIL.

More memorable shows City Gardens back back nites of X around 1983, The Clash at Asbury Park Convention Center in 84/ ish?-best friend got busted by the cops with a bag of pot and was put in jail-haha.

Saw a bunch of shows in LasVegas during this time early/mid 1980's since I spent more time in Vegas than going to schoool at ASU in Tempe-haha good gigs in Vegas were Hoodoo Gurus, LongRyders,INXS,Neil Young.

Other great shows in Phoenix were Love and Rockets,The Blasters,The Fabulous T-Birds(when they still had Jimmy Ray Vaughn),Albert Collins at Mason Jar and many others.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
too late to edit The Minutemen must be on that list of the most underated/underapprciated bands of that era.

[/ QUOTE ]

The real irony is that everyone in OOT has heard The Minutement because they all watched Jackass.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is kind of depressing if that is true.

Did anybody read "Our Band Could Be Your Life"?

craig
Old 10-08-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah I'm from New Jersey originally

[/ QUOTE ]

what exit?
Old 10-09-2005, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Did anybody read "Our Band Could Be Your Life"?

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome.