Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 06:53 PM

Default TiVo or DVR from my cable company?

I'm about to move into a new house and I'll be ordering Digital Cable from Time Warner Cable. I've been thinking about getting TiVo for a while, but TWC offers a DVR for $7.95 that apparently does what TiVo does. To quote from the website:

"What is DVR?
Record your favorite shows - choose one episode or an entire season, record two shows at the same time, build a library of recorded shows - all without videotapes or a VCR.
Watch recorded shows whenever you want - you can even view one show while recording another.
Pause live TV - or fast-forward and rewind programs, so you can create your own instant replays.
Protect your family with Parental Controls - you decide and control what's being recorded.
No expensive equipment to buy - No hassles, no contracts and no hidden costs.
Digital Cable required for this service."

So is there any reason to bother with TiVo when I can just get this as part of my cable package? Thanks,

-Brian
Old 08-29-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: TiVo or DVR from my cable company?

Old 08-29-2005, 06:59 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

jesus [censored] christ dude
Old 08-29-2005, 09:24 PM

TiVo Rules.

I have a TiVo with my DirecTV and it is invaluable, wouldn't trade it for the world. (Highly recommended alternative to cable, but I understand some people have Internet service through the cable companies, so I don't argue.) TiVo, based on Linux, is practically bulletproof. I had the Dish DVR that was based on a Microsoft operating system and it sucked so bad I switched to DirecTV. (And I am not a Linux freak, I use Windows XP all the time and think it's just fine.) Reliability and features of the TWC box should be a consideration. And not having to recompress the signal is something to consider. Plus, with HDTV coming online real fast in the next two years, I wouldn't spend much for any NTSC equipment.

If you have the chance to get a DVR cheap from your cable company, I'd give it a shot, but be prepared to switch if it doesn't do the job. Check out those escape clauses in the contract for the thing.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check out those escape clauses in the contract for the thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You SAT subscribers forget the rest of the world requires no contract. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

To the OP: Ask if they are using the Motorola DCT-6412 or Scientific Atlanta 8000 (single tuner) or 8300 (dual tuner) boxes. The 6412 is great and flexible, the Sci-Atl boxes not so great. None of the three are as veraatile as a TiVo but then again you have no contract and no capital investment involved with the cable company DVR.