Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 06:36 PM

Default OT: Quick TiVo Question

My parents are getting a new satellite system (they are switching to dish network). I understand how TiVo works in general but I'm wondering how it works with a satellite package...do you have to buy a special setup to get it to work with a satellite package or can you buy the normal stand alone unit? Also they said Dish Network has some new box where there is just one box that feeds two TV's so I'm wondering if a stand alone unit would work in that regard (I tend to doubt it).

Any input appreciated, I'd like to get them out of the dark ages.

J
Old 05-24-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Re: OT: Quick TiVo Question

[ QUOTE ]
My parents are getting a new satellite system (they are switching to dish network). I understand how TiVo works in general but I'm wondering how it works with a satellite package...do you have to buy a special setup to get it to work with a satellite package or can you buy the normal stand alone unit? Also they said Dish Network has some new box where there is just one box that feeds two TV's so I'm wondering if a stand alone unit would work in that regard (I tend to doubt it).

Any input appreciated, I'd like to get them out of the dark ages.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

It will work with Dish network fine, you just need to get the standard "standalone" TiVo. There is a TiVo and satellite receiver combo box, but it is for DirecTV only.

Don't let Dish Network tell you their DVR is the "same thing" or "just as good" as a TiVo. It's not, and it's not close.

The DirecTV/Tivo combo box is by far the best way to use TiVo...those boxes are superior in every way to the standalones. I'll tell you why if you're interested. You might want to look at DirecTv. For a new subscriber there are tons of great deals out there that include the TiVo/DirecTV box.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:44 PM

While it is true the standalone TiVo will work with Dish, it isn't the ideal setup.

Yes TiVo has more features than Dish DVR, but an integrated DVR/satellite receiver (Dish DVR or DirecTV/TiVo combo box) will have better video quality, since it is just saving the binary stream off the satellite. With standalone TiVo it is capturing the analog video out of the back of the satellite receiver, and reconverting it to MPEG, which will lose quality.

You'll also have to pay a subscription to TiVo, and supply a phone line, to get downloads of TV listings, if you get a standalone TiVo.

Also Dish makes DVR's that can record from two channels at once, something you cannot do with a standalone TiVo, unless you have two satellite receivers. There is a DirecTV/TiVo box that can record two channels, I believe.

So if you really want TiVo, get a DirecTV/TiVo combo box. If you want Dish, get one of their DVRs.

-- Kevin
Old 05-24-2005, 09:19 PM

Thanks guys...since this is for my technology impaired parents I think I'm going to have them go with the simplest option and just buy them a dish dvr...I think messing with all the extras that would be necessary to get them tivo would cause problems although that's what I'd probably do if it were my system.

Thanks again,
J
Old 05-24-2005, 09:30 PM

I have the dish network DVR, its a JVC 80GB, its nice, but I have never used a tivo so I have no comparison. The dish/dvr costs an extra $5 a month for the subscription, hardware is free with 1 year contract.

I forgot, the dvr/satellite remote is RF not IR, which means you can use it from anywhere, without pointing it at the box, so you can put the box in a cabinet or even a different room.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:52 PM

Thanks, that sounds like exactly what I want to get for them. If it's only an extra $5 a month that's fantastic.