Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Me vs. Matt Flynn

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, you have a strong hand, hit a good flop, made one agressive move and bailed. You might as well have been bluffing, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well put.

I also think Wayfare put his opponent on WAY too narrow a range of hands. IMO he gave up this hand when he checked the turn.

The Doc
Old 04-13-2005, 09:17 PM

Which one was Matt?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:34 PM

just one can?

I put you on the nut low draw. historically I suck at figuring out what you have so the next time we play I'm just going to try to get my chips in the middle first, that way you at least will fold every now and then [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 04-13-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Results

Matt had K6o.

Doesn't matter what card comes off on the turn -- if it ain't a jack, I'm probably not playing. The fact he had the best hand is incidental.

I needed to pot it on the flop, or limp preflop and take it from there.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just one can?

[/ QUOTE ]

of guinness, yes. ;-)

[ QUOTE ]
I put you on the nut low draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

my hand wasn't that good.

[ QUOTE ]
historically I suck at figuring out what you have so the next time we play I'm just going to try to get my chips in the middle first, that way you at least will fold every now and then [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

what is this thing, "folding"?

matt
Old 04-14-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't matter what card comes off on the turn -- if it ain't a jack, I'm probably not playing. The fact he had the best hand is incidental.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep. it did not matter what card came off. i know what you have; you don't know what i have; and you've shown a lack of commitment.

what simply does not happen in pokerstars or party 5-10n/pl is the hyperaggression that forces everyone to play a high variance game and levels the playing field considerably (assuming the aggressors aren't nuts). i have played many a hand the same way in $5-10 and made a lot of money doing it, plus when i get called and lose or suck out it looks great.

matt
Old 04-14-2005, 03:11 AM

Hi Matt,

[ QUOTE ]
yep. it did not matter what card came off. i know what you have; you don't know what i have; and you've shown a lack of commitment.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where I guess I get carried away in the $1000s. When I feel I'm up against a thinking, aggressive player like you, and I've played my hand like Wayfare up to that point (usually because I sometimes slip back into a default mode that contains some of my old lines; a symptom of multi-tabling), I expect you to try that, and I'm very inclined to call you with a hand as big as JJ. Is this just suicide?
Old 04-14-2005, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

or limp preflop and take it from there.

[/ QUOTE ]
In a 6max game is open limping with JJ reasonable or are you just considering it because of the player sitting behind you.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:50 AM

I didn't want to start a separate thread for this hand, but it seems semi-on-topic. I'd appreciate a reply or two.

This is from the same game, and seems somewhat similar to the hand being discussed. (Or at least close...different table, but same night of 2+2 25NL shenanigans.) Villain in this hand is better than me, and has shown reasonable aggression so far. He's also just slowplayed AA preflop and lost to a set, but I doubt $25 will leave him tilting [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. We start the hand with 50xBB, not the 80xBB from the hand that started this thread. I think by this point in the game I've fully established my weak-tight image, and he's probably been around long enough to notice. I never thought I was behind, and I instacalled on the turn. Assuming I think I'm ahead on the turn, I'm wondering if this one should play out differently since I only have the pot left in my stack.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">CO ($25)</font>
Button ($50.25)
SB ($46.8)
BB ($89.16)
UTG ($26.94)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($24.25)</font>
UTG+2 ($69.85)
MP1 ($45)
MP2 ($20.7)
MP3 ($31.2)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.75.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls $2, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls $2.

Flop: ($8.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, CO calls $5, UTG folds.

Turn: ($18.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $17.25 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $16.75 (All-In).

River: ($52.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $52.50

Results:
Hero has Ts Td (one pair, tens).
CO has 6c 8d (one pair, sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins $52. CO wins $0.50.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

or limp preflop and take it from there.

[/ QUOTE ]
In a 6max game is open limping with JJ reasonable or are you just considering it because of the player sitting behind you.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's reasonable, although raising is likely a more popular option. As long as you're not going to have too much faith in an unimproved hand postflop, it's fine.

With a superior player sitting behind you, both options have their advantages and disadvantages. Raising gives you a biggish pot out of position, and limping means you forfeit what amounts to a preflop value-bet. I'm a total pansy out-of-position, so I probably keep the pot small preflop and see where things go from there.