Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 11:20 AM

Default Defending Matusow

To those of you that hate him, do any of you actually know mike matusow personally? because from what i hear the players on the tour generally like the guy. Yes he has a bad temper and is emotional. that makes him human and someone we, or at least I, can root for.

The incident last year against raymer was flat out wrong, he crossed the line and some. but in the heat of a competition with millions at stake some people act differently. Players like raymer and ivey maintain their class and composure, while others like matusow and arieh have flare ups.

I can think of a few instances when apparently decent people acted in a manor in which they probably regretted. Dagostino tossing his chips after losing yet another big hand, gavin anderson (i think thats his name) knocking his chips down after losing AA to 99 at last year WSOP. Arieh berating fellow players for apparently bad play. are all of these guys jerks or did they lose it under the pressure of the tournament and the lights of the cameras?

Matusow has a history of problems and is obviously not the most stable guy in the world, but i get the feeling that if you were ever given the chance to hang out with the guy in a bar setting you would end up liking the guy.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Defending Matusow

What was it he went to jail for again?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:29 AM

I agree with this. I get flared up sometimes when I feel I am playing better than the results. I guess that is part of my competitive nature. Part of his deal is to put people on tilt with his banter, and then get them to make bad plays at the wrong time. I hope he does well this year. I really do.

Kyro - He went to jail for drugs, which if you were to survey this board, the big difference between Matusow and the majority would be, the majority did not get caught.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:30 AM

not to mention that the majority of this board probably dont pay taxes on the money they earn from GAMBLING OFFSHORE. Pot meet kettle.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kyro - He went to jail for drugs, which if you were to survey this board, the big difference between Matusow and the majority would be, the majority did not get caught.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly didn't know what it was. I would agree with you.

Still, it's as foolish to say "Matusow is a huge jerk in real life" as "You would like Matusow if you hung out with him away from the tables."

Personally, I hate rooting for people who can't control their emotions when things go wrong. I hope he loses. Whether or not he's a "nice guy"
Old 07-13-2005, 11:40 AM

It's funny that people get emotionally attached to the success/failure of people they only know from television.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Beat him Down the Nice arrogant Idiot

Date / Time: 2005-07-12 19:36:00
Title: Quote
Log: "Poker lesson of the day: Never call all-in when I move all-in." --Mike Matusow
Old 07-13-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's funny that people get emotionally attached to the success/failure of people they only know from television.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then i presume you dont watch TV or go to the movies and you certainly dont like sports and root/get attached to your local sports team? Because that would just be "too funny."

If you ever read a book, you would realize that you only turn the pages because you want to know what happens to the characters next. You watch TV shows and movies to the end because you want to know what happens to the actors. You get attached. its fun. Some of us, enjoy being entertained.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how so? people have favorite sports teams and dislike the rival team all the time.

I don't see what's werid about this when it's applied to poker players.

Personally, i think matusow is the man. He's probably the only person with a sense of humor in the whole 5600 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2005, 11:48 AM

Kyro:
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I hate rooting for people who can't control their emotions when things go wrong. I hope he loses. Whether or not he's a "nice guy"

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my take on it.

Things like this are debated about athletes, but nobody seems to mind that we don't know them personally. Why should this be different? That's how he chooses to present himself.