Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 09:55 PM

Default Am I an idiot? (Pushing with nothing)

Beginner here so be foregiving please?

Blinds are 100/200 I'm in the BB with 2060 left. 148 left top 60 get paid.

utg+2 calls and has a little less than me left.

MP2 calls and has about 3500 left.

It is then folded around to me and I see 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Previous to this players have been fairly loose and have been trying to limp in alot with crap hands yet still raising with the good ones. No loose calls have been made.

I am thinking that these guys may have a suited A or suited connectors or maybe J10 or something like that.

So anyway with the pot at 700 I decide to push. I figure this will still keep me above the danger zone and surely they can't call unless they have something decent in which case they would of raised and if thy miracously do call I am suited so i'm not a massive underdog right?

Bottom line is the first guy folds really quickly. The second guy thinks about it for a while and then calls turning over A 10 off (ouch that 10 hurt). Of course I make a four flush and that is the end of my tourney.

Even though folding was probably better, was my play that bad? Was his play bad? Should I have waited for a better spot. I was starting to run low on chips and I have been pretty tight so I figured I should get some respect.

Maybe I should of not gone all in but put in a moderate raise instead?

Could you guys please help me out on this hand?

Cheers
Old 12-14-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Am I an idiot? (Pushing with nothing)

This looks okay to me.

Depending on your read, another option might be to raise to say t700, and then push any flop if the raise is called. Yes the villain would be getting odds to call, but against a lot of weaker players (like this guy) it will often work.

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:14 PM

I don't think you're an idiot. A Big Blind all-in steal is a move you need to have in your arsenal.
Most of the time when you have a few limpers they'll fold to a big raise...they just wanted to see a cheap flop.

However a decent player will realize what you're doing and will call you with a hand that has decent value (such as ATo)

Your M is almost 7 so you do need to make a move soon. However with the hand you hold I might wait for a better spot since the blinds are passing you now and you can get first in viggorish in late position a few hands from now.

A move like this is similar to slowplaying AA. When it works you look like a genius and when it doesn't work you look like an idiot.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:36 PM

With a hand that has more showdown value, I'd like this push a lot more. You describe yourself as new, so I'm guessing this is a low buy-in? Pre-flop pushes get called pretty liberally by players who have limped (thought I'm pretty sure they fold a lot of the same hands if they haven't limped, but once they've decided they want to see the flop...).

You've already paid to see the flop, so you might as well take advantage of that information. If you pick up a draw or make a pair on a non-threatening board, then you can push. Otherwise, just check-fold and wait for a hand with more showdown value and/or a spot where you are first to enter the pot. Even pushing 10BB's, you don't get much fold equity against limpers at low buy-ins.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:49 PM

This play doesn't work too well in the low buy ins because people have seen it before and people love to call etc... But your stack is low and it'd be nice to get some chips. I recommend doing this move w/ "live cards", I hate doing this hand w/ Ace or King rag but rather a connected hand like 68 or 57s. With T3s your like a 2:1 dog rather then a 3:2 dogs with the connectors. And your 3:1 w/ the ace rags and king rags when dominated. It can be a good play but use it sparingly and don't be afraid to do this w/ aces because people call w/ lesser holdings cuz they've seen this bluff before. Its worth a try if you have the right image imo.