Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Help needed with this hand - JJ vs 85s

I really need you to know... did I play this right. Would you have folded? Things like this keep happening lately. I've never run this bad. I usually play lower limits 1/2 and I've blown over $500 in the past 2 weeks.

Here's the hand... sorry it's on BoDog so no nice hand histories...

4 limpers
Hero: JJ ...raises to 6BB ($3) on the button

3 callers.

FLOP: 5s 4h 5c Pot ($11.50)
min bet, I raise to $12.
One caller
TURN: 10s
check to me... I bet $20.
raise all in to $31.

Should I hve folded?

Call. He flips 8h5h (but they were sooted!!!) 3 of a kind.
Last card... Kd.

I was trying to be tight aggressive. To aggressive, not tight enough. Just right? What's your thoughts?
Old 07-26-2005, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Help needed with this hand - JJ vs 85s

to me it doesnt sound like u did too much wrong there. i might have slowed down when he called your raise and then checked it to you. that should have sounded some alarms. other thank checking the turn behind him and making him put in a value bet on the river if he has any sort of hand i dont no what i would have done differently
Old 07-26-2005, 11:54 PM

somebody that bets minimum on the flop and then calls a $12 bet most likely has a pretty strong hand here -- and then a check on the turn by him was quite suspiscious -- it's like a beg for another big bet from you. i agree with the first reply, check behind him on the turn and see what he does on the river.

your turn bet doesn't seem to be totally out of line as i could see the villain acting the same with 67 or maybe even A4 -- at low limits, players really overplay their weak hands, and you have to capitalize on that, but with his min bet on the flop and then subsequent call & check, circumstances here seem quite suspiscious and i would opt to be more cautious -- maybe if you want to bet again, put out a feeler, maybe another $12, this way you can fold if he goes all in on top and be reasonably confident he has a better hand... then again, biggest pot i won at these stakes on party was when somebody went all in on the river for $60 with 33 and i called him with QQ, just an overpair, and took it down (although he had been going all-in at the river a lot).
Old 07-27-2005, 12:43 AM

Your preflop raise wasn't enough to really narrow your field. In fact, consider yourself lucky that it narrowed it as much as it did. You're raising to $3 in what was already a $2.75 pot. The first player to act after your raise is already getting better than 2:1 to call your raise. Few microlimit opponents are going to fold to such a (relatively) small raise after already limping, and moreso, many hands would be correct to call the raise even if they saw your JJ.

You didn't give the order of the betting, so I don't know whether it was the eventual caller or another player who led into you on the flop, and I don't know how many of your opponents were still in the hand when you raised the size of the pot. Depending on the precise order, I would have liked a smaller raise or, if it were already heads up, a flat call. Here's my reasoning:

It's unlikely that anyone still in the pot actually has two overcards to your jacks, since nobody else raised preflop. An open-ended straight draw with either 23 or 67 has 8 outs to beat you; a wheel draw with A2 or A3 has 7. All of these holdings are relatively unlikely, as are the various gutshot hands. So most of the time, you are either way behind trips or a flopped boat, or way ahead of someone drawing to (at most) 3 outs. So raising it up, say, $8 is enough to make it incorrect for anyone with less than an OESD to call.

If you do get called by just 1 player, then yes, the turn becomes a pretty obvious check-through. Again, it's most likely that you're either way ahead of an opponent drawing to 2 outs (a naked ace is unlikely to call your flop raise) or way behind and drawing to 2 outs yourself. You then force your opponent to underbet the river, in hopes that you'll call with a worse hand (which you'll do most of the time).

BTW, this is a limit forum, and this post would get far better responses if it were posted in the NL one. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]