Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Fold this set?

1/2 live, full table.

Here are the relevant stacks: (approximate)

hero: $270
UTG2: $450
MP: $200
Button: $250

I am the CO with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

UTG2 makes it $12, MP calls, I call, button calls, blinds fold.

Flop: $51

A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

checks around (?)

turn 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG2 checks, MP2 bets $40, hero?

is this an easy fold?
Old 09-16-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Fold this set?

Call.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:15 PM

im min raising that.

If he pushes, you fold, if he flat calls, ill check it down on the river.

If you call this, you are gaining no information about the opponents hand if he fires out a $100 bet on the river.

Id much rather fold than call, but my first option would be to min raise.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im min raising that.

If you call this, you are gaining no information about the opponents hand if he fires out a $100 bet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
good plan of attack
Old 09-16-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im min raising that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this also, but would this be different if I were out of position? For example, say I raise and the button calls, UTG2 folds and the bettor folds, so now I am heads up / out of position on the river? If I don't improve on the river do I just check and call even though it really looks like I am behind?
Old 09-16-2005, 01:44 PM

I really donīt like the minraise. What if eh just flat calls it and then bets out something around $65 on the river? You still havenīt gained a whole lot of information.

Any reads on the guy would help. Is this the sort of betting he would do when he really hit that flush ?

With no reads, I would sooner think that he is just trying to represent the flush. Iīd come over the top of him properly and raise to 140 or so.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
im min raising that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this also, but would this be different if I were out of position? For example, say I raise and the button calls, UTG2 folds and the bettor folds, so now I am heads up / out of position on the river? If I don't improve on the river do I just check and call even though it really looks like I am behind?

[/ QUOTE ]

Button almost never flat calls your minraise with a hand you have beat. So, I would check the river in that situation, and only call a small river bet (depending on the pot odds).
Old 09-16-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really donīt like the minraise. What if eh just flat calls it and then bets out something around $65 on the river? You still havenīt gained a whole lot of information.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he calls the minraise and bets like 65 on the river, it's either a weak block or he doesn't want you to check down the river (ie he thinks he has the best hand). In either case i think it's an easy call (unless the river is really ugly), and this still costs the same as raising to 140 on the turn, but has the added benefit of showing down your hand.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:53 PM

Call. Raising does nothing. You don't need to raise for more info. Club came, he raised, good chance he has a flush. If he doesn't, your smooth call will scare him on the river. If he's nice enough to have the nut flush when you boat up on the river, you stack him.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this was a fold or raise situation because just calling might induce a raise from the button or a C/R from UTG2?