Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 03:47 AM

Default KQ flops top pair -> chip leader pushes allin. Do I call?

Hey guys, I'm a NL cash game player using my freeroll points. I have some history with the chip leader. He's pretty tight. About an orbit ago he raised from LP and I smooth called w/ QQ, looking to trap him postflop. Flop came 99x and he called my checkraise and then folded to my lead on the turn. I think he felt I was bluffing, but wasn't willing to play a big pot to find out. I have been playing very aggressively and basically running the table over, opening at least two pots a round. My table image is that of a LAG.

Edit: We're about 40 players out of the money, chip leader is the only one that has me covered at the table.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em (NL$0) <font color="#0000FF">(8 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $2200.00</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, Hero calls $1400.00.

Flop: ($3600.00) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3500.00</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises all-in ($20347.00)</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero...
Old 09-14-2005, 04:28 AM

Default Re: KQ flops top pair -> chip leader pushes allin. Do I call?

Considering that most people tend to react to leads on the flop very strongly, I'd call, although it'd help if i knew stack sizes and how far in you guys are.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Considering that most people tend to react to leads on the flop very strongly, I'd call, although it'd help if i knew stack sizes and how far in you guys are.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has me covered by about 3000. To call his bet, I'd be allin. I have everyone else covered at the table. If I call and am wrong, I'm out of the tournament.

We're about 30 players from the money.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:56 AM

call... there's too many worse hands he could have,especially if you're considered a lag.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:03 PM

Being considered a crazy LAG has it's advantages, and I definitely think this is a perfect example. His huge overbet convinces me that you are ahead, and considering he fact that this is a freeroll, you've got to play to win.

I think this is a great opportunity to either collect a lot of chips, or go back to your cash games and make some money.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:18 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

I probably would've re-raised from the BB. Villian is in steal position, and you are out of position with a strong holding (given the amount of players in the pot).

I can't see getting away from that flop either, given you've been playing lag and your opponent tight. He might be sick of what he views as bullying, and willing to look you up.

Then again, it's always possible he has a monster and you're in deep do-do. Still, 30 spots away from the money is quite a ways, given how people tighten up at this point in the game.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:22 PM

Call, unless you are me, at which time you should assume he is holding 33.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:59 PM

I fold.. even if he thinks you're LAG, a tight player won't sacrifice his whole tournament close to the money without something better than your hand.. plus with KQ being a bit of a trap hand when you hit your Q, it's a tough choice.. Unless he was just not gonna take it anymore and decided to make a "stand", he has you beat.. really depends on how aware he is of your image.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:05 PM

I don't believe the button is bluffing. You've been LAG, and most people will not try to bluff out a LAG (a LAG looks like he will call everything, even if it's not true).

The button is convinced that he has the best hand. This is either because a) he has a great hand (AQ, KK, AA), or b) he hit middle pair and thinks because of your LAG image and the fact that you are in the BB that you have nothing.

So what does the button have? Well, his raise on the button is only 2.5XBB, so I don't think he was too afraid that you would call. You also said he was a tight player. So it's not KTo. It might be AJ, which is about the best you can hope for, I think. Or perhaps AK, if he's a pretty bad player.

I'm guessing AQ. I'm also thinking you should fold this thing. You've been running the table over and have picked good spots to build up your chips. This is not one of those spots, in my opinion.

Also, I wouldn't have raised quite so much on the flop.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:28 PM

First lets take a guess at villians range of hands he would raise with since you said he's playing tight. Ace Queen, King Queen, Queen Jack suited. Maybe even Jacks. King Queen less likely, because that is your hand but not impossible. And then there is Queen jack which has you. Based on villians tight image this is most likely a fold. The only argument for calling is your aggressive table image could have villian making a play at you here, but my guess is his range of possible hands has you beat. Just curious, what happened?

side note...of course all over pairs have you also. Kings, Aces...Queens less likely but still possible