Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Switched from limit to NL and have some serious problems

Hi my first post. Sorry for being long.

I have limit before and been quite successful at it at middle stakes 5/10 - 15/30 10 handed only. I want to switch over to NL and are trying the 6-man tables at party. Problem is I dont seem to do well at all. I beat the 25 buy in tables easily (just wait for a decent hand and then some moron will call you down with middle pair) I earn my own rake at 50 and 100 tables. If I focus alot on a single table I have no trouble but as soon as I expand to three tables or more I dont even break even. I guess I am looking for that "super system" I had in limit where I knew how to play each hand from every position without really thinking.

So my question is really where do you guys earn money in NL. In limit I can say its very much from playing tight and exploit the fishes who call down your stronger hands with weak hands using checkraising and freecards to some extent. In NL 86-man) i dont really seem to get where I will earn my money.

Take AK for example I raise with it preflop get a caller. If I hit my hand he hits nothing I get a puny tiny tuny pot. If I hit my hand and he gets what he wants (a set) i loose my entire stack or close to it. Looking through my database I find that I loose money on all the hands I made money from in limit.

Well I think you get my idea. Thankful for any help.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Switched from limit to NL and have some serious problems

Reads. Find out who at your table is aggressive, weak, loose, tight, and find out quickly.

Play small pots with one pair hands, includes TPTK and overpairs, usually by betting the flop, checking behind or check-calling the turn, and calling most river bets. Fold TPTK to a check-mini-raise with no reads.

Bet out with your sets, with strong draws, two-pair, made hands, etc. It's easier to get money in the middle now for a bigger pot later when your bets won't seem as scary.

That's sort of how I cruised through 100 and 200 NL. I raised a lot of hands pre-flop, playing 6-max, raising 55+, any two broadways, suited connectors, etc., and was betting out a lot. In fact, most of the time my action was betting - I don't think I used a check-raise often at all at those stakes. Betting out with your strong hands just makes it easier to build the pot.

That's all I got, others will probably give better advice, but take what you can.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Switched from limit to NL and have some serious problems

Thanks for help. I think I play my TPTK too strong. Your play is much more careful. I usually just pot bet/pot bet/pot bet and then I loose my money cause I am too commited. Just hate the idea of free cards to opponents =)

I have put some thought into the preflop raising. Would you say its almost automatic equity on raising the hands you mentioned and then always make a continuation bet on flop no matter what. My idea is that it will perhaps break even and the increased action you give will get you calls on bigger hands. If so how much do you generally bet on the flop? Half pot or pot? With half pot I decrease the equity risk but I also get draws from people with inside straights and lowest pair.