Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 10:58 AM

Default How much credit do you give to flopped flushes

Recently I have been loosing some serious amount of chips to people who have flopped a flush. Example: flop comes three hearts I got a two pair or something moderately ok perhaps top pair with the ace in the flopped suit. Problem is I never give credit to people who represent the flush (like "yeah right you flopped that eat this raise"). I tend to play faster on three suit boards to avoid getting four flush out there (if I have the ace it will certainly kill the action and if I dont I will have to lay it down). I have started to wonder if the correct play may be to slow down on these flops instead.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Re: How much credit do you give to flopped flushes

I like to be the second one in the pot. Position is everything with this kind of hand.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:17 AM

Slowing down a whole lot is pretty good. You can be in a situation where you are drawing mighty thin, or you are not much ahead. Getting lots of money into the middle when you are Way Behind or Only a little ahead, is not good business.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:19 AM

I give a lot of credit. Think about how scary that flop is for people who don't have a flush. And how scary it should be for you. If he is playing it fast even though you are playing it fast, what can he possibly think that you have? Guess what? He doesn't care. Seems like he has a flush.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Recently I have been loosing some serious amount of chips to people who have flopped a flush. Example: flop comes three hearts I got a two pair or something moderately ok perhaps top pair with the ace in the flopped suit. Problem is I never give credit to people who represent the flush (like "yeah right you flopped that eat this raise"). I tend to play faster on three suit boards to avoid getting four flush out there (if I have the ace it will certainly kill the action and if I dont I will have to lay it down). I have started to wonder if the correct play may be to slow down on these flops instead.

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

People like you are why playing suited aces can be so profitable. As Trey said, being in position is good in this situation. And like fuzz said, you have to tread carefully. The scariest moved on a montone flop, the smoothcall. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2005, 11:26 AM

In this situation you are either way behind or slightly ahead. You should only expect to pick up a small pot or loose a big one. Thus, Don't try to build a pot. By the way what site was this? I have seen a lot of flush flops (3 suited) on one particular site, more than what I would think is normal.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have seen a lot of flush flops (3 suited) on one particular site, more than what I would think is normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

*SIGH*
Old 09-12-2005, 12:59 PM

I wasn't saying that someone flops a flush just that the flop is suited. Assuming you are not holding that suit the probability of that occuring is approx 1.5%. After reading your *sigh* I scanned my last three sessions and it occured slightly less than 5% of the time. Granted it was a tiny sample size but, my perception is correct. And no i do not subscribe to deck rigging or excessive Bad Beat theories by online sites.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:10 PM

Thanks for all the feedback people. You are of course right. I need to stop thinking that all my opponents are idiots and stop being an idiot myself and slow down on these flops.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:31 PM

this is assuming there is only 1-2 players in the pot preflop.. vs a small field it is hard to put someone on a flopped flush..
i like to bet out as if they have not hit their flush, making them pay to hit, betting half pot or so.. and slowing down to aggression...

however if it was not raised preflop and there are several opponents in the hand .. and someone comes out firing.. proceed with caution..