Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Number of chips on the table

[ QUOTE ]
as the pot will seem bigger and you'll get more people chasing poor draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

tommy like, tommy want chippy
Old 07-15-2005, 10:54 AM

I think red chips should be banned from 3-6 game on account of lameness.

Lot's of chips get more action and building stuff with chips will help to combat the boredom during the dry streaks of folding 20 straight hands pre-flop and watching donkish play.

Cycle between the following:

1. Pyramidal structures (see link above)
2. Straight lines of chips (20-stacks) built up into wall structures when you inevitably start to win.
3. Obnoxious towers of 40 chips apiece (make sure they're forty... nothing is worse than thinking you have a certain number of chips and then finding out you have less. And it makes you look foolish.
4. Other--Anything is acceptable so long as your stacks are neat and display a commitment to poker table aesthetics.

I have no idea why I like talking about chip-stacking so much.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:59 AM

Sometimes it's fun to mix things up and just make a huge mound in front of you. Problem is you really won't be able to pile up more than 150 or so chips without intruding on the seats next to you. Still though, people sit down and think you're drunk or just crazy when you keep your chips that way.

Swede
Old 07-15-2005, 11:03 AM

I always find it really funny when people do this, particularly in games with 3chip/6chip structures that require huge quantities of chips.

It does slow the game down a bit though, as people always seem to have a hard time picking out the right number of chips.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:29 PM

Stand your rack on end and slide it out from under the chips. You will now have five stacks of twenty chips. You can slide them around on the table by pusing gently on the bottom of the stack. Keep you chips in stacks of twenty and two or three racks are easy to manage.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:59 PM

You will soon learn that there is little more fun than having obnoxious amounts of chips in front of you on the tables. With proper architecture, you should be able to handle upwards of 1500 checks. Plus, you get a lot of attention for doing stupid [censored] like that. Which is nice. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 02:20 PM

I had 600 whites in front of me last week at a 4-8 games. I ruled [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 03:14 PM

Come back when you've made a 5x4 Bastille-Like structure 40 chips high [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I ran out of room shortly after, and once I knocked down a couple stacks of ten on top, I had to color up...
Old 07-15-2005, 03:52 PM

i like to buy in for $120 - a stack of red ($5) and a stack
of white ($1) ... easy for making the $6 bets

~Maura
Old 07-15-2005, 03:59 PM

Chip-stacking architecture is a great hobby. I like pyramid structures best, and also 25 chip stacks that curve in halfmoons around my cup holder.

I don't mind red $5 chips though. I collect them from others - mainly maniacs who color up after a hot streak. Red chip stacks make great caps for my pyramids. I had one guy ask to buy one from me for 5 white chips and I refused, saying it was a souvenir from "that guy" pointing to a maniac. I think he went on tilt after that, but the rest of the table loved it.

I usually buy in for $100 with the idea that I will rebuy another $100 if I drop below $30 or so. I used to buy in for 2 racks but I found I hardly ever needed the second rack (for 3/6) and it's more fun to build your chip architecture through winnings than your initial buyin.