Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Upcoming Good Actors

I think if someone would give Steve Zahn a chance to do something othert than stupid sidekick roles he would be very good. Jake Gyallanhall and Heath ledger should both be mentioned just for doing the gay cowboy movie. Topher Grace may also turn out to be a pleasent surprise.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think if someone would give Steve Zahn a chance to do something othert than stupid sidekick roles he would be very good.

[/ QUOTE ]
But he's sooooooooo good at this...
Old 11-17-2005, 11:07 AM

Here is a name everybody should remember...

Lou Pucci

He is going to be a great actor and if you have the chance to see Thumbsucker you should.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sam rockwell

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like him and Peter Sarsgaard (Cunning's choice) are very good at giving their characters a specific personality that shines through, especially in supporting roles.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sarsgaard and Rockwell are awesome. Check out The Salton Sea with Sarsgaard and Val Kilmer. Also contains a brilliant performance by Vincent D'Onofrio.

Joaquin Phoenix isn't up and coming and has a big movie opening tomorrow, but I think he's tremendous. I hear a lot of people say they don't like him, which I don't understand. People who like him mention Gladiator which was sweet, but check out Return to Paradise from the late 90's. Contains a rare dramatic role from Vince Vaughn. Phoenix is amazing in it.

People hate this movie but I also loved him in Signs. Opposite end of the spectrum from Gladiator, but both played to perfection.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:45 PM

Hardly an up and comer, but certainly young and talented, Ewan McGregor has got to be on the list.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Peter Sarsgaard was awesome in Garden State and Jarhead.

[/ QUOTE ]

he was also in flightplan and quite good. that reminds me of the weird guy from adapation, "and don't forget sir, they're all endangered too."
Old 11-17-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Theres a British critic who has said and defended what he said that Viggo Mortensen will become the deniro of his age.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was the guy I was thinking of when I opened this.

[/ QUOTE ]

no way. btw guys, when you name people could you please provide a movie they were in too.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if he can be considered a new and rising actor but Phillip Seymour Hoffman is really a top actor, on par with other actors like Deniro, Dustin Hoffman etc. He's really great in Capote. Even when he has little parts like in Big Lebowski he really nailed it. He's also very good in Love Liza.

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to 1996! PSH has been around a while now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. PSH is great - for a while he did an off-Broadway 2-man show along with John C. Reilly where they flipped parts every other night.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Theres a British critic who has said and defended what he said that Viggo Mortensen will become the deniro of his age.

[/ QUOTE ]
WTF? Viggo is only 15 years younger than Deniro. That's not even a generation.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:04 PM

I can't believe people mentioning Ed Norton and Ewan McGregor and Phillip Seymore Hoffman for this. Each of these guys have been making quality movies for ten years or more.

Saarsgard and Gyllenhaal are good picks though, I would definitely consider both of these guys more "newcomers" on the scene than the guys mentioned above. I know he's really only known for one movie but what about Zach Braff (the guy behind and starring in Garden State)? Based on his work and performance in this movie I'd say he could become pretty damn big. We'll see...

Swede