Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Did I Just Have A Limit Holdem Epiphany?

Sorry for cluttering your thread with all these posts, but I wanted to add one more thing:

Jennifer Harmon may say she doesn't understand the math but that is bullshit. She wouldn't be a worldclass player if she didn't understand the math, she would be getting crushed every single day.

There is more to math than algebra, calculus and even arithmetic. Math is logic, math is understanding any type of system and math is involved in any form of "adaptation", which you have come to recognize is a key component in poker.

I think her statement is akin to that of a world class composer who might have never taken a music theory class. He may not know the terminology and he may not even know any of the great classics but does that mean he doesn't understand how to write great music? Of course not, he simply came to his understanding through empirical exercise rather than rote memorization. This route takes a great deal more suffering and complex thought, and high intelligence. Most people could spend their entire lives "thinking" about music theory and still never get anywhere near the level he is at. The same goes for Jennifer Harmon--in fact most of the greatest people in the world at -anything- learned what they know through empiricism. It's a much stronger teacher than memorization.

I hope that helps you on your journey [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].

David Sklansky article on Phil Ivey and "poker math"
Old 09-21-2005, 02:50 AM

get pokertracker and play 3 tables of .5/1 6-max.
you'll be good soon enough.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:44 AM

no offense, this is just constructive...but there is no way you have as much knowledge as you think. Simply put, 2/4 is a joke that can be beat without any regards to the players style (granted it can help). One technically sound play after the other and youre looking at least 2BB/100 easy. I would certainly get pokertracker, and examine your game plan. Another thing is how many hands have you played at that level so far? It is possible that you're just running really shitty, which is doubtful but possible. Get the software, and reexamine your [censored].
Old 09-21-2005, 06:44 AM

this is definitely in the wrong forum, but you got good answers for an old hand who should know better [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], and dcifr got flamed. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 12:50 PM

Hi,

IMHO:

You need to stop playing 4 tables of $2/4 and just play 1 table.
If you can't beat 1 table, then why are you playing more than 1?
You'll just lose your money faster and you won't even know why! (which, it sounds like
the place you're in now!).

Player reads in Limit Hold 'em aren't really that important.
Play tight pre flop.
Play position properly (play more hands in Late Position, try to get free cards when appropriate, etc.).
Don't get fancy with your big hands - just be straightforward - bet and raise with them!
Count your outs properly and Draw properly - get an odds chart
and make sure you are always profitably drawing.

Don't really worry about being aggressive in order to try to make other players fold - it's futile at $2/4 in general...just focus on making the best hand and showing it down...

Hope this helps some, Joe M.