Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Tricky AKs spot 109$ PL

This is from a 109 PL on PS. My image is pretty tight, but somewhat aggressive. Opponent has played rather unremarkably up to now and I have no reads.

I limp pf because if I raise, and get called, im in a tricky spot on the flop. The table was attacking limpers, so I figured a limp reraise was the best way to get my chips into this pot.

Once SB raised however, I had to fear a monster from him, you rarely see rasies OOP like this without big hands. Calling is out of the question, so is it push or fold?
PokerStars (9 handed) converter

Hero has 1415
Villian has 2970

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of 25.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to 350 (pot)</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333"> Hero....
Old 07-26-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Tricky AKs spot 109$ PL

I like a reraise w/the rest of my chips going in on the flop no matter what. You're really only afraid of 2 hands here, and since you have an A and a K, that is generally unlikely. I don't think you can fold an AKs to one PF raise.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:45 PM

Is there no chance the sb is trying to pick up all this dead money with a raise? Or trying to isolate and get heads up with something like TT? I don't know, because I don't play the 109s.

My other question is why is calling out of the question? Because you're pot committed if you call? Or because if you just call, you let the rest of the field in behind you? Or both?

If it were me, I push and expect a race, unless I felt I could make-up more ground, against this table, in a better situation. The only hands that have me killed are AA and KK.

FOITNOF,

-D.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:00 PM

I'm tempted to call and see the flop. It's unlikely that anyone else is going to call 6XBB raise, so I think it will most likely be heads up with Hero having position.

If villain is playing a midpair or something like that he can have some difficult decisions.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:03 PM

reraise to t1175

let him think about that for a bit.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:09 PM

you have incorrect odds to call hoping to flop a pair here, and given that the raiser is the SB you will almost never see a free turn card. You have the perfect stack size to limp reraise here, and in fact, I dont know why you would limp AK to begin with with 30x unless it was for that reason.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:11 PM

i would think sb is trying to pick up the dead money, although i haven't played pl mtts, i have played alot of ring pl, and this is a commonplace in the games i've played in. I'm going in with all of my chips on this hand, to see wha hand he is doing this with, and if he folds or not. Try to adapt some ring pl experience to this [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2005, 06:22 PM

Thats obviously why I limped, the potraise from SB threw me off a bit I guess. It was just very out of character for the way the table has been playing. I haven't seen an OOP raise the whole time I was playing.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats obviously why I limped, the potraise from SB threw me off a bit I guess. It was just very out of character for the way the table has been playing. I have seen an OOP raise the whole time I was playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

haven't, you mean?

I still think that you have to raise here. Raise whatever amount you think will give you the most FE. (hint: it's not always just pushing)
Old 07-26-2005, 06:25 PM

Even against an extremely conservative range of AA-JJ, AK you are 42%. So, if there's any chance at all of him having a larger range than that you have to get the chips in.