Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: BOB COSTAS RIPS POKER!!!!

I don't know. But what I do know is that Poker is much better than any 'sport.'

How in the world any grown man can sit around watching pro sports is beyond me. (Unless he is betting on it though I guess.) I also can not believe that some people actually care about who wins this and that or whatever or what some multi millionaire blinged out pro athelete thinks about this or that.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, poker is not a "sport." For it to be a "sport" I think the rule is that the players must be 90% black.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hockey?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:27 AM

Poker golf and bowling are not sports. I like poker and don't like the other two. I have no idea why its on ESPN but they show a lot of crap that isnt a sport ( hot dog eating contests. spelling bees, pool etc.)
Old 08-17-2005, 05:29 AM

My reasoning being they are events where they don't need to be an excellent athelete. They are events where you use a skill that you have but don't have to be a great athelete to play them professionally. By Bob's example saying poker is filled with pasty faced overweight guys he is trying to show that it is not a sport because you can be out of shape and play them. In Golf, pool, and Bowling you can be out of shape. Or is John Daly gonna be on the Wheaties box next month to promote fitness? How is my reasoning now?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:37 AM

have some insecurity issues?
what the fxxk do you care if bob costas thinks poker isn't a sport?

ps. what i'd really like to know is what vince thinks of all this.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:09 AM

dont forget to include skinny asian dudes who cant speak engligh when you talk about the overweight pasty white guys
Old 08-17-2005, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My reasoning being they are events where they don't need to be an excellent athelete. They are events where you use a skill that you have but don't have to be a great athelete to play them professionally. By Bob's example saying poker is filled with pasty faced overweight guys he is trying to show that it is not a sport because you can be out of shape and play them. In Golf, pool, and Bowling you can be out of shape. Or is John Daly gonna be on the Wheaties box next month to promote fitness? How is my reasoning now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your making the common mistake of confusing the difference between an athlete and somebody that has athletic skill. Bowling or swinging a golf club require precise athletic skill, yet doesn't necessarily require the participation of an elite athlete. Poker requires absolutely no physical skill whatsoever. If Poker is a sport then so is my mother's counter-cross stitch. Give me a break.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If poker is not a sport than neither is bowling, pool, and golf. And many BET on the side in these sports. So they may be even more degenerate than poker players. As in poker betting is a part of the game. In the others it is not, it is added for there degenerecy. These 3 sports are also filled with pasty faced overweight guys.

I'm not say these sports are filled with degenerats. What i'm saying is the world is filled with degenerates and can be found in all sports in some fashion. Is Michael Jordan(and many other b-ball players) a degenerate gambler? I think there can be an argument for that. But i don't hear him bashing basketball for being filled with degenerates. So the point is his commnetary is filled with just preconcieved notiins of what he thinks poker is becuase he doesn't know anything about it or like it. He likes baseball so that is a "great game" to him. We have degenerates but so does evetry other sport or event. He was way unfair with the bashing and his prejudices.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is whether or not an event can be gambled on your basis for what can be considered a sport? Because my buddies and I used to bet to see who could piss the farthest off my balcony when we were liquored up. Would that be considered a sport? If so, I'm pretty sure I could medal in that.

Look, basketball, football, and baseball probably are filled with more degenerates than poker. Michael Jordan is most likely 10 times the degenerate gambler that Greg Raymer is. So if that's your problem with what Costas said then fine -- I agree with you. But who cares?

But if your problem is that he said that poker isn't a sport and doesn't require athletic skill, then give it up.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I guess poker players should apologize for being intelligent and using there brains.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 08-17-2005, 10:16 AM

you will always find people like that.. im a huge soccer fan but constantly see it ripped in this country (usa).. likewise, in some countries people just dont see the fascination with american football or baseball.. like they say people fear what they dont understand.. let it go, everyone is entitled to their opinions, dont let stuff like that bother you