Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2004, 12:21 AM

Default An AK hand

Comments please.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO (poster) 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (21 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (20.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Final Pot: 20.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 20.50 BB, between Hero and UTG+1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG+1 (20.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has Kh Ad (one pair, aces).
UTG+1 has 4d 4s (three of a kind, fours).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins 20.50 BB. </font>
Old 09-08-2004, 12:23 AM

Default Re: An AK hand

When I get raised on the turn, I think I'm drawing dead. I probably just call down with the slim chance that he's got 2 pair.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:28 AM

Hey Bob,
You played the hand fine. Why the heck didn't UTG bet the river? Gotta love it. I'm assuming you're ck/calling here. (and that you took lots of notes on him raising 44 UTG, bless Phil Helmuth [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )

-Jaran
Old 09-08-2004, 01:43 AM

Hi PokerBob,

I don't blame you for capping preflop, but I will often just call and try to extract my edge on the flop in your spot. Also, technically, you gain some info by not capping, because you can watch UTG+1 and see if he caps it. That will give you a lot of information about his hand.

On the flop I check-fold. Overall, I like to try and save pots this way only when in position. I understand why you would bet there though. The pot is big enough for you to want to fight for it and try to get to see all 5 cards and possibly to take away the opportunity for someone else to see all 5 cards--especially if they have the same hand as you which appears very possible when both CO and UTG+1 call you.

Thinking through this, I think maybe you should check, view the action, and c/r the flop to knock out a couple of players if the action behind you is favorable. That looks more effective in saving the pot than just betting out. Then bet the hand through if it gets shorthanded. If you got a free card somehow on the flop instead, then is that really so bad considering your hand?
Old 09-08-2004, 01:55 AM

Check folding this flop with the pot so huge and a potentially very live overcard draw is no good.

Check raising to knock people out isn't going to happen since the raise is coming from your immediate left.

I think betting the flop is fine, with the hope that UTG+1 will raise. Even though the pot's so big at this point and everyone can pretty much call 2, it might at least thin the herd a little.

(You could also check/call the flop, then lead out on the turn, but that's kind of a sticky spot since most of the time the turn card won't improve you. Discuss.)
Old 09-08-2004, 08:19 PM

Standard line. Also, its probably a better idea to not post results with hands, at least for a little while. results oriented thinking is bad.

peace

john nickle
Old 09-08-2004, 08:24 PM

I always cap preflop with AK. The only hands you are drastically behind are AA and KK, and im never scared of those.

Check folding on the flop in a pot that is already 10BBs on the flop is preposterous. Checkraising isnt bad, but doesnt seem likely to trap many people. However, i think it is fairly even with betting out.

peace

john nickle
Old 09-08-2004, 08:52 PM

Thank UTG+1 for not extracting the most money possble out of this pot.