Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2004, 09:45 PM

Default again with the Jacks

First hand of a few I played this afternoon, so I have no clue about any of my opponents. (It really was my first hand, I'm not just being lazy.) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold 'Em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG folds, UTG+1 (poster) checks, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero (poster) raises, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, BB calls, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB bets, Hero....?

I know this is a very difficult question to answer since we know absolutely nothing about the BB in this hand, but what do you think you would do if you were in this situation on the very first hand of a session?

Or...

Is there a play you would make in this spot a majority of the time assuming you were up against a typical opponent?

I'll tell ya what I did after while.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:08 PM

Default Re: again with the Jacks

With no read, I would fold. He called your preflop raise and called your bet on the flop. He could easily have the flush, trips, or now be feeling better about what was K no kicker. But then maybe I'm just saying this 'cause JJ contributed to a 40 BB disaster for me last night. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2004, 02:32 AM

If my jack wasn't a club I'd get out here. You've got possible trips, you've got an overcard, you've got a flush on board...You've put in 3 small bets, it'll probably cost you four more to see if you have the best hand and while the pots not teeny, its not incredibly attractive either.

The jack of clubs gives you a lot more equity in the hand, but its still a small pay off for the risk. If you're behind maybe you've got 10 outs and maybe you've only got 2 ...its a closer call, but I'm still leaning towards dumping it without a bigger pot and my relatively small investment at this point.

I guess the turning point in my thinking is that if I continue on in this hand I want to continue by raising...and I just don't like my hand enough to raise.

--Zetack

Old 03-02-2004, 02:49 AM

As it turns out, I folded.

You pointed out something really good here though, that did enter my mind during the hand, and was a big part of the reason I posted it. Since I did have the J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I was much more tempted to call, but I wasn't sure how much that alone should have affected my decision.

I'm not sure why, but I think I have a lot of trouble playing JJ, especially when I'm in the blinds or otherwise out of position. In fact, I just got done with another JJ hand that I'm going to post in a little while....I'm sure everyone is on the edge of their seats. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]