Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Exposed hand

Clear this up for me if you will....

I was playing in a multi live tourney. 2500 in starting chips and the blinds were at 300-600. I'm in the BB with about 6k in chips left. 5 callers (3k in the pot).

Dealt Q9o. I check.

Flop: J 10c 8c

At this point I've got the nut and I'd be more than happy to take it down right there. Bet $1500. 1 raiser behind me to $3k. I move all in with the rest of my $5400. After a long time she calls and shows J 10o. Great....until the 10 turned!

I've replayed this in my head numerous times. I've thought I should have shown my hand following my all in.

Did I play it too slow? Could I have shown the nut (was it legal)? What do you think?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Exposed hand

You seem very confused. You WANT people calling your allins with 4 outs.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:26 PM

It should be legal, but evidently isn't in a lot of tournaments.

But far more important, it would be stupid. Don't talk someone out of a call when you have the nuts. Ever.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:27 PM

Oh man.

1) your hand would be dead
2) why wouldn't you want him to call with a 4 outer?? You are 85% to double up
3) do you want your opponents to have easy decisions or hard ones?
4) The fact that you are even pondering this means you have such a lack of understanding of poker, that I don't even know where to begin.
5) Don't be results oriented. Its very very very very very bad.
6)Read theory of poker by Sklansky right away.
7)Repeat step 6.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

At this point I've got the nut and I'd be more than happy to take it down right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you don't want to extract as much as possible with the hand that's probably going to be best? I realize there's a flush draw out there, but this is an easy check/raise for me. You don't give your position, but we know someone felt like betting, so it's likely. Then your push is correct. I want as much money in the pot before I push here.

[ QUOTE ]

After a long time she calls and shows J 10o. Great....until the 10 turned!

[/ QUOTE ]

You got her to call with 4 outs to beat you. She hit one of her 4 outs. Getting her to call a push is exactly what you want, 100 out of 100 times.

[ QUOTE ]

I've replayed this in my head numerous times. I've thought I should have shown my hand following my all in.

Did I play it too slow? Could I have shown the nut (was it legal)? What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of card rooms will rule your hand dead if you do this. It depends where you are. But more to the point WHY WOULD YOU EVER SHOW SOMEONE YOU HAVE THEM DESTROYED?

I want my 5 minutes of my life back.
I'm sorry, but this post is probably one of the worst I've seen. It's a hybrid bad beat/awful idea.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:35 PM

HI! THOUGH YOUR LACK OF POKER UNDERSTANDING MAY MAKE THIS A VALID QUESTION, I AM STILL GOING TO RULE THIS AS A BAD BEAT POST. PEOPLE HAVE TWO REACTIONS TO YOUR BAD BEAT POSTS:

1. THEY DON'T CARE.

2. THEY ARE HAPPY.

THANK YOU! COME AGAIN!

-BBP
Old 11-30-2005, 04:41 PM

Haha, if you Google for 'adanthar' something close to that ("can I say "I have AA" after I call someone's all in to prevent overcalls?) was like the very first question I asked about poker on RGP.

Ahh, memories.