Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 09-06-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: What do you think about this quote?

let us not forget this is the woman who said:

-----
"Why should we hear about body bags and deaths? Oh, I mean, it's not relevant. So why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that?"

-Barbara Bush on ABC's "Good Morning America" on March 18, 2003
-----

what a classless, ignorant skank. pathetic. it does not surprise me that jake is defending her and peachy is agreeing with her.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think this depends on how you interpret barbaras statement. if you think it means "compared to being in their flooded homes in NO, youd rather be in the superdome", then it is not that unreasonable. but if it means "this hurricane is great for these people, life in NO before the hurricane sucked compared to this sweet deal", obviously its awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. And I said, I think she chose her words poorly. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. I'm not even a Bush supporter, but I'm not out on a witch hunt like some other people that are just looking for any reason to crucify anyone named Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]

barbara bush is one of those people who i dont give the benefit of the doubt to. shes [censored] crazy. and im not one of those people who just looks to critisize any bush, although i really dislike him.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:27 PM

*edited out picture of mrs. bush with a huge 'chunt' label above her head*
Old 09-06-2005, 02:28 PM

I don't know why you're attacking Jake about this when he's being perfectly reasonable.

To the OP: don't post this crap in here. Regardless of your intentions, it was inevitably going to devolve into this sort of thing.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:32 PM

yeah he is being reasonable, but he is mincing words. he is defending her instead of focusing on what she said.

[ QUOTE ]
"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this (she chuckled slightly) --this is working very well for them."

-barbara bush

[/ QUOTE ]

that is what she said. and that is pretty awful and embarassing.

if that had been senator hilary clinton or mrs. heinz-kerry i would be calling her an ignorant whore as well.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
She is talking about all the people in the Astrodome.

""So many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them.""
-Barbara Bush

[/ QUOTE ]

They were poor before but now they can share residence with 50,000 other poor people and eat MREs! They may have lost their homes, cars, family heirlooms, pets, and every earthly possession but MREs make life good!

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't anyone think that she may have been refering to the thousands of people who were homeless? They essentially lost nothing, and now have a place to live and food to eat.

Her comments were probably poorly timed, but certainly not as bad as most of you make it out to be.

There seems to be a Bush-hating attitude that affects people's ability to think rationally.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why you're attacking Jake about this when he's being perfectly reasonable.

To the OP: don't post this crap in here. Regardless of your intentions, it was inevitably going to devolve into this sort of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody here made the comment, she did and wether she likes it or not, she is a public figure whos public comments will come under scrutiny. Maybe she should choose her words more carefully, especially the ones that show her true character.

If you don't like where a conversation is headed, click a different link.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I'm saying the majority of them don't pay taxes. And it is the point. If these were people with well-paying jobs, they'd have money for other kinds of accomodations and wouldn't be sitting in the Astrodome. The people are being helped. I'm sorry for their loss and everything bad that has happened to them, but when you don't take care of yourself, you are afforded what other people offer you as charity.

[/ QUOTE ]

FEMA is a government run program that gets money from taxes, they are not a charity of any type, by paying taxes they are guaranteed aid. Granted some private businesses are donating things to help these people. But again that’s not really the topic I’m posting about.

I think we are reading this quote differently:
"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them."

I read this as they are poor, majority black people that probably live in trashed out homes with crack dealers anyways, they should love being in the astrodome. It makes a statement to me that these people are “underprivileged anyway” so they are second class citizens and should be happy with the crappy setup they have.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read this as they are poor, majority black people [blah blah blah]

[/ QUOTE ]
Reading a racial bias into her statement - well done.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:44 PM

If nothing else, I look forward to what Jon Stewart will be saying about it tonight on the Daily Show. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]