Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Is MoneyMaker still a millionaire ?

[ QUOTE ]
he won through an online qualifier :/

[/ QUOTE ]

I read his book, it's actual not a bad book. But he says in the book that between his friends and his dad, they got I think 60% of the money because they staked him. If that's true, he was never a millionaire to begin with.(after taxes)
Old 08-20-2005, 09:03 AM

I would guess he got about 750K after everything (Taxes/backers)
Old 08-20-2005, 10:03 AM

He has a lot of business interests now if what ive heard is correct.

The guy is prolly out there proving the addage that money breeds money.

If he won 750K from the main event, then consider the 2nd in the WPT 5K event (netting 200K) as making him break even for poker, he has prolly turned the 750K into a million or more by now if he has been investing it wisely.

Phill
ps, one of his investments was something like 'Deathrow Records', ie gangster rap (beeeg money industry atm).
Old 08-20-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Probably never was

$2.5 million after taxes = $1.65 million
Minus 60% to backers =

$660K left

Pay off house and some bills - minus ?
Divorce wife - minus half of what is left?
Marry some other chick - minus ?
Plus $200K from WPT 2nd place finish

Maybe he has $500K left at best. I would guess/hope.

All this is pure speculation of course.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Probably never was

Why would he pay backers after taxes?
Old 08-20-2005, 11:03 AM

At first, I couldn't understand why you would be interested in the financial affairs of Chris Moneymaker. Then I looked at your username and it made sense. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2005, 12:11 PM

Two things wrong with your post:

1. The post is not a troll post: [ QUOTE ]
Anyone have inside information on this ? I'm hoping that he still is and I wish him well. I'd hate to see him end up broke.

[/ QUOTE ] You didn't even read it and called him a punk ass kid and a moron. Who is the troll?

2. I have little doubt that otnemem was knocking on anyone who would find this subject interesting.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:08 PM

Whats it matter to you? Its not like he is going to let you borrow money. All thou if you knew him he probably would, he is still a nice guy thats what really matters and if you live in the Middile TN area(or do bussiness there) you can find him playing 15-30 at a nice cardroom in the area. Ive played with him and his buddies alot in the pass year and they are not scared of a raise so I doubt he is anywhere near broke.

Does he not have a new TV ad on reguarlaly.....Im sure he got something for that.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Does he not have a new TV ad on reguarlaly.....Im sure he got something for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Raymer gets some of his entries covered by pokerstars as long as he continues to wear stars gear. Something like that I suspect.
Obviously it is pokerstars interest to have guys like Moneymaker and Raymer wearing pokerstars stuff when people stare at the world-champs and ask them for autographs, etc.

But stars can already use their likeness for promotional purposes...so I'm not sure those guys are getting THAT much of rthe TV spots.

I suspect that the estimate that Moneymaker didn't even have $1-million after paying his backers, taxes and bills is probably correct. No idea whether he's been a winning player or not since then. But I'd suspect that what income he has made since then has come mostly from promotional/endorsement stuff, his book, and his WPT runner-up finish at Bay 101.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Raymer gets some of his entries covered by pokerstars as long as he continues to wear stars gear. Something like that I suspect.
Obviously it is pokerstars interest to have guys like Moneymaker and Raymer wearing pokerstars stuff when people stare at the world-champs and ask them for autographs, etc.

But stars can already use their likeness for promotional purposes...so I'm not sure those guys are getting THAT much of rthe TV spots.

I suspect that the estimate that Moneymaker didn't even have $1-million after paying his backers, taxes and bills is probably correct. No idea whether he's been a winning player or not since then. But I'd suspect that what income he has made since then has come mostly from promotional/endorsement stuff, his book, and his WPT runner-up finish at Bay 101.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I believe I saw him in Bumfight. He's probably getting royalties from that.
Closed Thread