Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Re: 6-max vs 10-max myths?

To have rules to follow against every type of player would just be stupid, but I think that's pretty obvious to everyone here.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:52 PM

"WRT 2), if the table is loose but passive (you'll get 3 people calling your raises every time) open limping is good. If it's not, then open raising is good."

The definition above seems a bit off. I would expect if you were getting 2 people calling your raise every time open limping would also be good - Or would that change your analysis? Just checking
Old 06-17-2005, 12:06 AM

"1) preflop, strategy should be no different than if it were folded to you, at the same position relative to button. in other words, UTG play at 6-max is the same as if folded to you 3 off the button at 10-max."

Since I didn't see anyone mention this, I wanted to bring up a point about this statement. In a full game, the distribution of high cards is likely to be higher when folded around to only six players left vs. a six max game. That's becuase after four players pass, the chances of high cards in the remaining hands in a typical full game would be higher. AA didn't fold, KK didn't, etc. Therefore, you might expect more big cards on average opening six handed in a full game, than if opening six handed in a six max game.

If this is true, it seems like it is relavent to correct 6 max strategy vs. playing in a full game when it's folded to the last six players, to a certain extent.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well then they aren't really rules are they?

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh.. touche.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

"WRT 2), if the table is loose but passive (you'll get 3 people calling your raises every time) open limping is good. If it's not, then open raising is good."

The definition above seems a bit off. I would expect if you were getting 2 people calling your raise every time open limping would also be good - Or would that change your analysis? Just checking

[/ QUOTE ]

What you don't want is to be raising marginal hands and end up out of position a lot because everyone is calling you. That sucks. But those same marginal raises are key when you have position.

So raise a lot when you can win the blinds and/or the button, and limp a lot when everyone likes to play.

Switching off between raising most hands and limping most hands is also very effective.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:41 PM

hi

i've heard about this, but can't figure out a way to quantify exactly how much richer in high cards the remaining cards are when X players have folded.

have a link to an article or post on this?
Old 06-17-2005, 06:03 PM

I read an article on this in Cardplayer about 1.5 years ago. It was called something like the bunching effect. I rembember the effect being very small and I think when you consider that in early position almost everyone is folding Ax and Kx too it would be even smaller.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:50 PM

"have a link to an article or post on this?"

I'm not aware of any article or post that gives an extensive analysis of the subject. I posted a detailed (and probably difficult) question in the probability section. No luck yet.