Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Blocking bets

I posted a question like this on the small stakes forum before but i'm interested if mid- high stakes see it differently.
Basically my questions are;
Do you use blocking bets?
If so,
Why and when do you use it? (In what situation, against which player etc)
If you don't use it, why not?

Henric
Old 11-24-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Blocking bets

I use them, my favorite is the passive if bet at, crazy if checked to opponets, you know those people that won't raise a $50 bet into a $200 pot, but if checked to will bet $300. It's when my hand might be good. Example, I'm playing a hand vs. someone, they're like I descirbed, the problem is I was watching t.v. and don't know how often they bluff, the river brings the str8, but the flush missed. That's a good time to blocking bet, so I don't have to worry about the flush missing and calling some bluffing % I'll have no clue in guessing. Alos I know he won't raise a weak 2 pair (not uncommon on pp) and I have TPTK, it might get more value, from a weaker top pair, prevents bluff (to some opponets).
Old 11-24-2005, 02:38 PM

At 10/20 NL, enough people raise small blocking bets that I don't see the point of making them
Old 11-24-2005, 03:29 PM

A blocking bet is designed to earn a cheap showdown...a common situation is to make a 1/2 or 2/3 sized pot when when you have the nut flush on a paired board. If you are raised big then you are probabbly beat. You do not want to have to call a pot sized bet basically.

The only problem is that a good player will pick up on this and often raise you with nothing on the river.

My advice would be to experiement with it with hands like having two pair on the river when the flush or straight hits. It takes a lot of feel for it to work properly and is of course player dependant. Good luck.
-ObnxNole-
Old 11-24-2005, 03:44 PM

In the SSNL forum i was told that a blocking bet was about 20% of the pot.
My thoughts about blocking bets were that if a player is good then he will definatly pick up that i dont bet 20% of the pot that often (almost always between 1/2-1). So i figured i would get raised a lot as a bluff, because they pick up on the weakness. (Which i guess you can use on them as a reverse)
But then again against some opponents in some situations i would probably lose money not trying it.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:44 PM

Another thing-in live games with reads block bets can be great at inducing bluffs from very aggressive opponents. Such a sweet play to pull off if you can make it work.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1/5-pot blocking bets are dumb. My blocking bets look exactly the same as value bets. I'm not about to start making 1/5-pot value bets.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1/5-pot blocking bets are dumb. My blocking bets look exactly the same as value bets. I'm not about to start making 1/5-pot value bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed; whoever said that in SSNL was misinformed. If your blocking bet is obvious for what it is by its size, its a terrible bet.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:24 PM

Good players will shove blocking bets right back down your throat. Against better players you need to make blocking size bets with your big hands so that you can get them for a good chunk when they think your bet is defensive. After a few re-raises your blockers will get tested less.

Against weaker players, blockers work well. The size depends on how weak the player and whether or not you prefer a call or a fold.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A blocking bet is designed to earn a cheap showdown...a common situation is to make a 1/2 or 2/3 sized pot when when you have the nut flush on a paired board. If you are raised big then you are probabbly beat. You do not want to have to call a pot sized bet basically.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think the nut flush on a paired board is a good example, maybe in Omaha but not in Texas. Its more of a value bet the very most of the time.