Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Weak with a set

While I cant find a specific hand at the moment, Im wondering what is your standard play in teh following situation:

100bb effective stacks, a pre flop raise with a mid pp (whether made or calling), between 2-4 to the flop. You have minimal reads.

You flop your set, with 2 to a flush out. You lead when its on your for the pot, and one villian (not the PFR) calls.

Turn comes the flush, and you are about 80% sure based on previous action and your minimal read villian was on the draw and the flop, but cannot be certain.....

If villian leads for the pot you?

If villian leads for 1/2 the pot you?

If villian checks to you?

If Villian check raises you?

Ok found an example

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

MP ($30.80)
Button ($20.70)
SB ($9.75)
BB ($17.30)
Hero ($32.80)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, MP calls $1.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $1.

Flop: ($3.85) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.5</font>, MP folds, BB calls $3.50.

Turn: ($10.85) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero ???????
Old 12-19-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Weak with a set

i usually dont' believe he has it till he shows aggression.... i'm not sure if this loses me money in the long run... but i'd usually bet this turn for about 5-7.... if he raises you reevaluate... probly fold... if he just calls you hope you hit your boat on the river... that's just how i see it... i would like some feedback here too as i get stuck here every once in awhile also
Old 12-19-2005, 08:03 PM

With this particular example, I might check behind. His stack isnt that deep, and you'll have to call a checkraise. Reassess on river.

In general, I don't stop betting my strong hands when a flush comes. If I face a big raise, i'll check my boating up odds and call or fold. If he just calls and checks the river (unless it puts 4 of that suit on the board), i'll usually value bet.

I think too often we see the flush draw get there against a passive opponent, and get scurred. Don't forget that your typical loose passive opponent is usually on a much wider range than flush draw.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:07 PM

Hard to put villain on a flush draw when the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hits the turn. Keep betting. $7 should be fine. You cannot give the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] a free card to beat you. Also, too many cards can hit that will kill your river action.

If you think he has it and he is passive, bet the turn and plan to check behind on the river.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: ($10.85) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero ???????

[/ QUOTE ]

There are ten cards that improve your hand. Out of 46 remaining cards, that's 3.6:1. You have odds to bet pot and call a minraise. (You need to call $10 into a $40 pot, ie you're getting 4:1.) This assumes that you'll lay it down on the river if you don't fill up -- but sometimes he won't bet the river, and sometimes filling up gives him a higher FH, yadda yadda.

Checking here seems like a bad idea cuz it gives single hearts a free card.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If villian leads for the pot you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold.

[ QUOTE ]
If villian leads for 1/2 the pot you?

[/ QUOTE ]
Think about pushing. I'd probably find a fold.

[ QUOTE ]
If villian checks to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check behind.

[ QUOTE ]

If Villian check raises you?

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't let this happen; would fold.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok found an example

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

MP ($30.80)
Button ($20.70)
SB ($9.75)
BB ($17.30)
Hero ($32.80)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, MP calls $1.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $1.

Flop: ($3.85) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.5</font>, MP folds, BB calls $3.50.

BB checks, Hero ???????

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't have raised PF. You're killing you're implied odds. Two pair hands, drawing hands, big cards may not see a flop. You'll play against better hands than yours.

Flop: that's a draw heavy board, nice lead.

Turn: See above; check. Let him bluff the river with his missed hearts. Betting the turn is going to make for a pricey showdown after the draw completed. Don't get the money in after it hits.