Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-18-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Good spot to go for overcalls?

Bunch of loose-passives. Nothing special, no weird plays yet. MP will call down with any draw and will cold-call with gutshots even.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (9 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks, Button checks.

With so many callers, I felt like this card was horrible for me. I didn't want to bet, because I figured MP or button made a draw, given the flop cold-calls. Then one of them would raise and drive out my equity padding. I was hoping MP would bet, and then I could call down with lots of worse hands still in the pot with me. But they checked through.

River: (8.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP calls, Button folds.

So the river completes a straight for me, but I'm still worried that SB may have missed a c/r or someone is scared of a higher flush or someone may have a higher straight. So I go for overcalls ...

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

I feel like a wimp for not betting that turn, but it I have no fold equity, and there are a lot of draws out there that can still beat me if I'm not beat already, most of which can comfortably call my bet. I just didn't think I was ahead more than 25% of the time. In any case, it's close.

Anyone like overcalls on the river? I don't get to use this play much, so I'm not very good at it. We don't have this many people in the pot on the river on the 6-max tables very often.