Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-16-2005, 06:59 PM

Default New to 6 max - is this a standard fold?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

First let me say I'm new to 6 max and I'm not quite sure how to adjust my postflop play accordingly. I'm afraid that I may be folding more winners than I should since 6 max players are a little trickier than full handed. Is this fold still correct?

Villain is 32/18/1.7

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (2 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (2 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: New to 6 max - is this a standard fold?

Raise preflop, you've got a good hand with showdown value, position, and you'll see him limp here with a ton of crappy hands.

I call the river. He could have been making a move on the turn with a picked up draw, or just trying to push you out, thinking you're just trying to buy the pot with your position advantage. Over time you'll see enough, for the lack of a better word, retarded moves by these players that the river call will be standard.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:09 PM

Hi Pokerjunky-

I think you're good at least 1/8 of the time here with your pair of aces. Folding this river requires a better read than simple stats. What if the SB had a flush draw pick up on the turn with a Kx? What if he's got an ace, weak kicker just like you? What if he's full of it? If this was an overcall it might be a fold but not HU.

If you want to have more fun on this hand you could always 3-bet the turn for a free showdown. Is this spew? Only if the SB would donk the river or be the sort to cap. (I can't see him capping with less than a set or broadway here.)

edit: Didn't realize this was a blind battle. This makes it even more clearcut. Raise preflop, do not let people limp in the SB to you. Three-bet that turn in a blind battle, like, every time, and check through the river unless you hit two pair or better.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:30 PM

Raise pf every time.

[ QUOTE ]
Three-bet that turn in a blind battle, like, every time

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, especially if you are the type that cant fold Top Pair, 3 beting opens you up to a cap and a bet on the river. Why 3 bet if you are going to check thru on the river? He's not going to fold for 1 more bet on the turn.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise pf every time.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, especially if you are the type that cant fold Top Pair, 3 beting opens you up to a cap and a bet on the river. Why 3 bet if you are going to check thru on the river? He's not going to fold for 1 more bet on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you are going to call the river UI after he check raises you, why not 3-bet the turn instead? We're drawing toward better cards and if we get capped we can safely fold the river UI. Even in the rare instance that we get capped we're only losing a partial bet as we'll draw out on him 1/5 of the time, and make up an extra bet or more on the river when he bets into us when we have the nuts.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:37 PM

open-limpers (especially in the SB) are weak and are your friends.
They deserve to be punished.
you should be raising them.

You have an ace...your hand will have better show-down value than the majority of hands he will only be limping-in with.

as it was played - it's very possible that the reason he was check-raising you is BECAUSE you checked pre-flop. If you had an ace then surely you would have raised in the BB after he limped. Therefore, with an ace there he thinks he can perhaps push you out with a semi-bluff c/r (after you bet the flop when checked to even though he might be thinking 'no way this guy has an ace')
He might have hit a 2-pair or a set or something or just have a higher-ace.
But there is certainly a 1 in 8 chance that he's just thinking that you're scared of the ace and will fold.
Yes you should call-down here.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:46 PM

I would expect you to be ggod here far more often than the 1 in 8 required. First thing to learn about 6 max is that a good number of the players are full of it and will check-raise, 3 bet and cap with a ton of hands that do not warrant it. You will see a king, a ten an 8 or even something like pocket 3s a large number of times here. You need a very good read or a very scary board to fold a pair of aces HU at 6 max.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raise pf every time.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But if you are going to call the river UI after he check raises you, why not 3-bet the turn instead? We're drawing toward better cards and if we get capped we can safely fold the river UI. Even in the rare instance that we get capped we're only losing a partial bet as we'll draw out on him 1/5 of the time, and make up an extra bet or more on the river when he bets into us when we have the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hand is a good one with great showdown value but you dont want to get carried away. You want to get to showdown here but you dont want to pay a lot to do it. By calling the check raise and calling the river bet you've spend 3 BB getting to Showdown. By 3 betting the turn you are opening yourself up to having to pay more to go to showdown with a good but not great hand. Thats why you dont want to 3 bet the turn. If it gets capped on the turn you've invested 4 BB and 5 if you are going to call the river bet.

You said to 3 bet the turn and check the river UI, you were assuming that the villain would slow down to your 3 bet and check the river. This is not always going to be the case.

You are also not always going to be able to outdraw him here as you stated because you could be drawing dead and you don't even have close to the nuts in this hand, you have a pair with a weak kicker

3 betting the turn here is spewing, this is call down mode on the turn

edit: didnt see the 4 card flush on the turn, that changes things a bit but I still go into call down mode here
Old 12-16-2005, 09:11 PM

no, I don't think so. Your ace is good a lot here.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you could be drawing dead

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats not possible.