Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 11-18-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Matt Hilger\'s WSOP proposal

From the recent Card Player article about fixing the ME:

<font color="blue">The two arguments focus on things being either one way or the other — but how about both? How about starting off the entire WSOP with a $100,000 buy-in tournament? This tournament could be called something like the WSOP Professional Championship. The $10,000 main event would remain as is, to be played at the end of the Series. This tournament still would remain the dream for the everyday player.

The top players would be happy, as they now would have a prestigious tournament to play that would crown their champion. This tournament would match the best in the world against each other. Harrah’s would be happy, as this would require little additional resources but would add a lot of recognition to the WSOP brand. ESPN would be happy, as the final table of the $100,000 event surely would be a “Who’s Who” in the poker world. With 100-200 entrants, first-place prize money would be somewhere between $3 million and $6 million, making this a lucrative tournament for everyone involved.</font>

Would 100-200 pros put up six figures to play one another?
Old 11-18-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Matt Hilger\'s WSOP proposal

[ QUOTE ]
Would 100-200 pros put up six figures to play one another?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubtful. I think this tournament would draw a field of about 4. But I might be wrong.

Talk about deep stacks! "Alright dealers, we're in the first level, 25-50 blinds, $100,000 in starting chips. Shuffle up and deal!"
Old 11-18-2005, 07:02 PM

Isn't this already being done? I remember hearing something about a tourney that is supposed to take place at the Stratosphere and the buy-in will be $100,000

When will people stop trying to "fix" the main event?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:08 PM

I don't buy that pros wouldn't play one another for that high of a cost because as it is now they are whining for a higher buy in event to limit the number of donkeys. Then they don't want to play against all the sharks? They need to just shut up and play!
Old 11-18-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The top players would be happy, as they now would have a prestigious tournament to play that would crown their champion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there really that many top pro's complaining about the ME? Also what would prevent the average player from forking over the cash or getting in via satellite?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:48 PM

only complaints from 'pros' I saw from this years WSOP was those that didnt go anywhere near a final table much less a day 2. What I did see was plenty of pros at final tables, close to final tables and if I recall correctly quite a few actually *gasp* won an event.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:52 PM

I think this would be great. Many pros would play. And many online sites could do things like have $1k-10k buyin satellites (and smaller supersatellites), which a certain select group of players (which is a relatively sizeable group) would definitely play.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this already being done? I remember hearing something about a tourney that is supposed to take place at the Stratosphere and the buy-in will be $100,000

When will people stop trying to "fix" the main event?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shortly after the "Heavyweight Championship of Poker" (the 100k event) was announced, it got moved to Sam's Town. There's also the "Quest of Champions", a $250k buyin event. Only time will tell if either event comes off.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:34 PM

I, for one, am quite sick of hearing pros whine about inferior players in the tourneys. Because if they can't adapt, then they should die. Circle of life and all that.

But this seems like a good thing to me. Get these people to shut up, and also put some very good looking poker on display for all the world to marvel at.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:03 PM

But how can they beat someone who plays so badly!