Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Nut straight meets a paired board on the river...

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Table is fairly loose, vpip of 35, nothing spectacular has happened yet.

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP3 folds.

Dont know why, but something in my head said yea check raise, thatd be purdy...

River: (8 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero?

Great, now what?
Final Pot: 14 BB
Old 12-09-2005, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Nut straight meets a paired board on the river...

You clearly only have 2 choices, call or raise (you can't fold here). (It's obvious you went ahead and 3 bet and he called since you give the final pot size [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]). He really could have any 2 cards (J9, 59, K9, etc.). Without a read, I would just call his raise and not 3 bet. He clearly liked the 9 on the turn so the nine on the river probably helped him and may have you beaten you.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:28 PM

The turn check/raise is bad. First, it's risky; this will get checked through a lot of the time. Second, BB likes his hand now; maybe he likes it enough to raise, in which case you could have 3-bet.

Also, i feel like i'd have a better sense of BB's hand if you had just bet the turn. That turn donk could mean a lot of stuff, and on the river we're in a tricky spot because we don't know what the turn donk meant.

This river is tough, but i just call. You've shown a lot of strength, and BB is still raising. I think you're ahead a lot, but not the 55% necessary to 3-bet. Plus, i hate my life if the river is capped. If the board were less connected, i'd fear the boat less, but Q9/J9 worry me. Plus, he did call a bet on the flop, so he may have had a pair then.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:35 PM

*grunch*

Well played - I like the checkraise. Not pretty, just effective.

RIVER - hero reraises. If he had a set, he'd probably 3-bet you on the turn. The only other hand to beat you that he may have is J9...again, he'd probably 3-bet that turn to prevent a single ten from drawing. If not reraise, call.

ScottieK
Old 12-09-2005, 11:42 PM

preflop he has any 2, which makes it difficult.

i think the only hands he can call on the flop with a 9 are... J9, Q9, T9 and K9. 89 and A9 would be quite bad, anything else is just stupid.

of those hands on the turn J9 3bets you a bit, Q9 or a set almost certainly 3bets, T9 is played like this though because he still has the straight draw.

i think its pretty tough, but its a very thin value 3bet on the river.

(btw bet the turn)
Old 12-09-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(It's obvious you went ahead and 3 bet and he called since you give the final pot size [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

crap, it wont let me edit it either, lol thanks for pointing that out to me..
Old 12-10-2005, 12:16 AM

::grunch:: (I like that term, now that I know what it means. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

3-bet the river. Your 2-gapper straight is reasonably well disguised, and I'd expect him to turn over trip 9's far more often than a full house.