Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: 2 AK hands, your play?

[ QUOTE ]
Damn you're a pussy.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Have you seen some of my other posts? I can be a pushbot with the best of 'em. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

First off, 1C5 said he had no reads. Usually, I'll have some kind of read by then, but anyway, with no reads, I don't think that calling here does much. If you call, you're now down to t635 with the blinds coming in two hands. Any post flop play if you miss is going to leave you in the lurch. So I don't like calling, even with position.

All I'm saying is that I don't think that you're giving up much here by simply folding, assuming that you give UTG credit for a hand with his 3 BB raise. This I am sure of.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:14 PM

Hand 1 push, you have FE and I don't want to play AK OOP.

Hand 2 call, it's too early to be going for races and you still have enough chips to see a flop with position.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Damn you're a pussy.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Have you seen some of my other posts? I can be a pushbot with the best of 'em. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

First off, 1C5 said he had no reads. Usually, I'll have some kind of read by then, but anyway, with no reads, I don't think that calling here does much. If you call, you're now down to t635 with the blinds coming in two hands. Any post flop play if you miss is going to leave you in the lurch. So I don't like calling, even with position.

All I'm saying is that I don't think that you're giving up much here by simply folding, assuming that you give UTG credit for a hand with his 3 BB raise. This I am sure of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you might be giving up the possibility to stack someone with a weaker ace. Folding AK here can't be good CEV wise...
Old 09-09-2005, 02:23 PM

Well my thinking.

1st hand. 22s, often this meand AT AJ or a PP, I pushed, called by 88 which is what I was afraid of.

2nd hand, I called as I normally do, just seeing if others do the same.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, you might be giving up the possibility to stack someone with a weaker ace. Folding AK here can't be good CEV wise...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, obviously if I don't play a hand, I can't double up. That rationale could be used for every hand. I'm also giving up the possibility of crippling myself or losing my entire stack.

I don't hate calling, but I think you're kidding yourself if you proclaim with certainty that folding is a mistake. I almost never fold AK, but folding it under these conditions would not be terrible. What range are you putting UTG on w/o a read here?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:33 PM

My first thought on the first hand was that villain isn't folding pre-flop after betting 30% of his stack. Against any pair, you're a coin flip (blech). Since you're first to act after the flop, why not just call and push anything? You might still fold pocket pairs if you miss; a lesser ace or king is probably calling on an A or K flop; and if you get called by a better hand you're no worse off. The downside is you might fold hands that you're beating that might have called pre-flop, but what could these be? KQ or Ax on a flop that both miss?

Now...what should my second thought have been? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2005, 02:34 PM

Hand 1: Push.
Hand 2: Call, though I don't think a push is terrible.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1 push, you have FE and I don't want to play AK OOP.

Hand 2 call, it's too early to be going for races and you still have enough chips to see a flop with position.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-09-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My first thought on the first hand was that villain isn't folding pre-flop after betting 30% of his stack. Against any pair, you're a coin flip (blech). Since you're first to act after the flop, why not just call and push anything? You might still fold pocket pairs if you miss; a lesser ace or king is probably calling on an A or K flop; and if you get called by a better hand you're no worse off. The downside is you might fold hands that you're beating that might have called pre-flop, but what could these be? KQ or Ax on a flop that both miss?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my thought process as well and I would probably call.

Based on his chip stack I don't think you have any fold equity here. As far as position goes, HU with short stack late in the game I want to be first to act.

My line goes like this: I call the bet. If an A or K comes on the flop I probably check. A check into pot of that size in comparison to villain's stack is almost guaranteed to induce an all-in bluff by villain, in which case I can get all of his chips. If I miss the flop I can then estimate whether the flop was likely to have hit the villain. If I don't think it hit him I can lead out and try to take the pot right there. On a dangerous flop I can just check and be willing to fold to an aggressive bet, which will still leave me with enough chips at that level to stay in the hunt.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well my thinking.

1st hand. 22s, often this meand AT AJ or a PP, I pushed, called by 88 which is what I was afraid of.

2nd hand, I called as I normally do, just seeing if others do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 1: Great. Only 2 hands you're afraid of. You win that hand and you're well on your way to a top finish. Furthermore, the value of a bigstack is well worth the gamble with this hand.