Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: QQ -- I don\'t know what to think of my set

Wow, I've been seeing a lot of strange advice on this forum lately from new posters.

The turn card is obviously a bad card, so I would just call. The villain may be 3-betting the flop with an oesd and hit it on the turn. Raising the turn would be to risky, as you will get 3-bet by the J. Since he raised utg, he could also have AA/KK or a set of tens. I don't think it's worth paying too much to find out, so I'd just call the turn and the river UI.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:10 PM

I would probably raise. He will just call you if he has anything less than top pair and if the river is a blank you can bet again for value. If he reraises you - take on off and make a crying call on the river praying that he is betting in frustration.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:12 PM

Given his history and his stats, 2.3 agr is plenty high enough for a player seeing 30% of all flops, I think a LAG label is appropriate.

I am raising this turn here and expect to be ahead more often than not. If 3 bet I will call it down but obviously go to war if I fill up. There is no clear evidence as to whether he has a Jack or not but you cannot fold here against this player.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
folding not an option right? (10 outs if behind)

[/ QUOTE ]

No, folding the turn is not an option.

What I'm wondering is whether I should raise or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this guy is PokerBig2, then I'd threebet. Against another LAG I'd probably threebet too, villain doesn't necessary have a straight here.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:40 PM

I would raise without hesitation. Even if you're 3-bet there's a decent chance you're ahead. And when you're not, you have a significant number of outs.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:43 PM

You think this guy is gonna raise UTG w/ KJ,QJ,JT, or J9???? KJs is probably the only possibility And he has to 3-bet the flop w/ these hands. He's not going to 3-bet AJ. KJ is a possibility, and maybe QJ but who honestly raises UTG w/ QJ? Reraising with JJ on that flop is also suspect but possible I guess, in addition, he may cap the flop w/ JJ but probably not because I don't think he's that aggro. If your scared of raising semi-scary turn cards then your better off just capping the flop. Your ahead of so many hands that could merit the same action such as: 88,TT,AQ,KK (maybe he doesn't cap w/ KK),AA (he could be sneaky but very slim) ,KQ,(I won't count QT here). Now the only two hands you should be scared of JJ (but he'd really have to be lagging and an aggro meter of 1 something isn't high enough imo) and KJs/KJo (this could be a legit threat). Don't fear monsters under the bed. Your ahead of a lot of hands and behind few that can do that. Raise for value. If you get reraised you could still be ahead if he has 88 or TT and maybe AA or KK.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:03 PM

Nick,

This seems like a fairly straightforward raise to me? Villain is very likely pf-capping JJ here, and probably not 3-betting AJ on the flop. There's a handful of QJ-style hands that might have made it here this way, but there's also a ton of 2p/underset style hands that didn't hit a gutshot here. And you've got a ton of outs as an equity overlay when you are behind.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:56 PM

Raise it up and call down from there. This guy overplays his hands. I think you end up disappointed on the river much more often finding out that you could have extracted more than the times you lose to the str8.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... style hands that didn't hit a gutshot here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it's a raise, but KJ is a likely hand, and it was open-ended on the flop, not gutshot.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... style hands that didn't hit a gutshot here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it's a raise, but KJ is a likely hand, and it was open-ended on the flop, not gutshot.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what it's worth, AJ is double-gutted, too.