Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Flopped a straight - 20/40 Live

Commerce full table. Two limpers to me on the button with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I limp. SB completes and BB checks. Five to the flop.

FLOP: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I don't recheck my cards during a hand usually, but this hit so hard I did so just to be sure. SB (overall poor passive player) bets. Two callers to me, I raise. SB calls, one drops out, LP (overall poor aggressive player) thinks for ten seconds and calls. Three to the turn.

TURN: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet. SB calls. LP check-raises. I call. SB calls. Three to the river.

RIVER: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets. LP folds. I call.

Anyone play this different from beginning to end? Thanks!
Old 10-31-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Flopped a straight - 20/40 Live

LP can't have much here on the turn. What would he be thinking so long about on the flop if the 7 made him a straight? He'd have called with a T instantly, and probably with any pair too. He's likely now just picked up a flush draw. With the board now with two flush draws, I'd 3-bet the turn both to put maximum pressure on any draws and because I think I definitely have the best hand at this point.

$520 in the pot on the river, but I can't see you getting half of this pot against a poor passive player.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LP can't have much here on the turn. What would he be thinking so long about on the flop if the 7 made him a straight?

[/ QUOTE ]I thought quickly about this also, but he is a bit of an oddball. I didn't state this originally, because everyone will have a different opinion on that definition. LP is a problem enough of someone who is difficult to read, but not so much overall because his holdings are usually dominated.

My key question is the turn. I know what you mean about the raise, but what if LP HAS a ten also (despite your read), wouldn't it be advantageous to NOT chase out SB since I'd be spliting the pot? Or would it be a better play to pump it regardless because of the muliple draw aspects? Also, since SB is definitely a poor chasing player, is it also a better play to make him pay since there's a better chance he'd do so over a solid player?
Old 10-31-2005, 04:29 PM

threebet the turn.
fold the river.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:57 PM

3-betting the turn i would think is the right play. The chances that you are losing right now (and thus drawing dead to an offsuit queen) are slim, if you are in that situation, you don't even watn to call. But since there are so many draws, and the off chance that sb might even fold a ten to two more bets it's worth raising here. If he caps it on you then it might be time to re-evaluate. It sucks to pay off 80 more if he caps the turn but i think you have to do it, as he plays like a lone T.

If you raise and SB comes with for the 3 bets, then leads the river it's tough to overcall.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:43 PM

"the off chance that sb might even fold a ten"

This is Commerce. You could threaten him with a machine gun and he's gonna call.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:48 PM

If you're currently only tied, keeping SB in only nets you $20. That's if you two stay ahead of him. Not me: I don't care much about winning one (or one-half) more bet here if I can lose the whole pot, which ain't that hard to do given that board.

Besides, maybe the guy will call two more anyway. And, If he does, and then bets when a scare card comes on the river, you know you're in second place then.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:44 PM

You need to drop down to 9/18 and work on your fundamentals. Thats an easy 3 bet on the turn b/c unless he's got exactly QT your ahead or at worst tied w/him. 3 betting allows you to trap the horrible player for more money if he is on a draw
Old 11-01-2005, 12:15 AM

"You need to drop down to 9/18 and work on your fundamentals."

Why 9-18? Can't he work on his game at 20-40? Also, the poor player had yet to call one bet on the turn. Isn't it possible a 2-bet would trap him but a 3-bet would scare him out?
Old 11-01-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My key question is the turn. I know what you mean about the raise, but what if LP HAS a ten also (despite your read), wouldn't it be advantageous to NOT chase out SB since I'd be spliting the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, because if SB is on a draw, he's correctly calling, and you're losing EV in the long run. Let's say if he folds, you get half the pot as is. If he calls, you gain an extra $20 when he misses, and then you lose your potential 1/2 pot when he hits. If it's a flush draw, we'll say roughly 1/5 of the time. So you gain $80 4 times and then lose half the pot 1 out of 5 times. I'm too tired to do the exact math, but my point is, if you know that SB will fold for 2 more, you need to 3-bet. If he were drawing dead, and you and LP were chopping, then you want him in.