Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 05:22 AM

Default I\'d like to share an interesting quote from an interesting book.

According to the book, "Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You to Know About", Kevin Trudeau states the following: "Medical science believes that thoughts could never alone cure or cause disease. However, it is interesting to point out that medical science can not dispute the "placebo" effect. The placebo effect is when a person is given a "placebo," which is in effect nothing, yet their disease is cured. This occurs because the patient believes that what he is taking will cure the disease. His thoughts basically cause the cure. This happens in as many as 40 percent of the cases. Imagine, up to 40 percent of the time a person with a dreaded disease cures himself with his own thoughts!" Right when I finished reading that statement, the book, "Think and Grow Rich", by Napoleon Hill, popped up in my mind. Anyways, I would appreciate your comments on Trudeau's statement.

P.S. Another statement Trudeau makes several paragraphs below the one above: "Words have power. Most people speak words that increase body stress and turn the body's pH from alkaline to acidic. Words can change the way we think and feel. Researchers have concluded that speaking the correct form of words and thinking the correct thoughts actually changes a person's DNA." I would appreciate your comments on this statement as well. Thank you guys for taking the time to read this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Re: I\'d like to share an interesting quote from an interesting book.

[ QUOTE ]

"Researchers have concluded that speaking the correct form of words and thinking the correct thoughts actually changes a person's DNA."

[/ QUOTE ]
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can not change my DNA.

I can't fart loud enough to express my opinion about this book.

olavfo
Old 05-23-2005, 11:32 AM

The guy is a scam artist who knows nothing about science and medicine. There is such a thing as the placebo effect, but it is much more complicated than he is describing. Where does he come up with numbers like 40%? In most cases a drug or a placebo do not cure a disease anyway.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:01 PM

Do a search on Kevin Trudeau. Count the number of lawsuits. Count the number of products he's sold as a "expert". Count the judgements against.

My wife saw the "info"mercial and wanted the book. After 3 pages of who is KT I saved the $$.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:24 PM

From the FTC web site:

Kevin Trudeau Banned from Infomercials

Trudeau Settles Claims in Connection with Coral Calcium Supreme and Biotape

A Federal Trade Commission settlement with Kevin Trudeau – a prolific marketer who has either appeared in or produced hundreds of infomercials – broadly bans him from appearing in, producing, or disseminating future infomercials that advertise any type of product, service, or program to the public, except for truthful infomercials for informational publications. In addition, Trudeau cannot make disease or health benefits claims for any type of product, service, or program in any advertising, including print, radio, Internet, television, and direct mail solicitations, regardless of the format and duration. Trudeau agreed to these prohibitions and to pay the FTC $2 million to settle charges that he falsely claimed that a coral calcium product can cure cancer and other serious diseases and that a purported analgesic called Biotape can permanently cure or relieve severe pain.

Trudeau is paying $500,000 in cash and transferring residential property located in Ojai, California, and a luxury vehicle to the Commission to satisfy the $2 million monetary judgment against him. In the event that the court finds that Trudeau or his companies misrepresented their financial condition, the order would require Trudeau to pay $20 million pursuant to an avalanche clause.

“This ban is meant to shut down an infomercial empire that has misled American consumers for years,” said Lydia Parnes, Acting Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection. “Other habitual false advertisers should take a lesson; mend your ways or face serious consequences.”

In nationally-televised infomercials, Trudeau advertised that Coral Calcium Supreme, a dietary supplement purportedly made from Japanese marine coral, provided the same amount of bioavailable calcium as two gallons of milk, could be absorbed into the body faster than ordinary
calcium, and could cure cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, lupus, and other illnesses. In a separate infomercial, Trudeau claimed that Biotape, an adhesive strip, provided permanent relief from severe pain, including debilitating back pain, and pain from arthritis, sciatica, and migraines. In June 2003, the FTC filed a complaint in the Northern District of Illinois against Trudeau and some of his companies, alleging that these disease claims for Coral Calcium Supreme were false and unsubstantiated. The Commission also alleged in a separate action that Trudeau violated a 1998 FTC order by making the Coral Calcium Supreme claims and the pain-relief claims for Biotape.

In July 2003, Trudeau entered into a stipulated preliminary injunction that prohibited him from continuing to make the challenged claims for Coral Calcium Supreme and Biotape. This summer the court found Trudeau in contempt of court for violating this preliminary injunction when he disseminated a direct mail piece and an infomercial making the prohibited coral calcium claims. The court ordered Trudeau to cease all marketing for coral calcium products.

The settlement announced today permanently bans Trudeau and the other defendants, Shop America (USA), LLC, Shop America Marketing Group, LLC, and Trustar Global Media, Limited (“defendants”), from appearing in, producing, or disseminating infomercials that advertise any product, service, or program and, regardless of the advertising medium used to make the claim, from making representations that any product, program, or service can cure, treat, or prevent any disease or provide health benefits. The order’s ban on future infomercials exempts infomercials for books, newsletters, and other informational publications.

In addition, the order prohibits the defendants from transferring, selling, or renting personal information collected from customers who purchased Coral Calcium Supreme and requires the defendants to destroy this information for certain customers. Finally, the order contains standard recordkeeping provisions to assist the FTC in monitoring the defendants’ compliance with its prohibitions and requirements.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do a search on Kevin Trudeau. Count the number of lawsuits. Count the number of products he's sold as a "expert". Count the judgements against.

My wife saw the "info"mercial and wanted the book. After 3 pages of who is KT I saved the $$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, is this the super memory speed reading guy?
Old 05-23-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, is this the super memory speed reading guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup...the guy has hawked a tonne of stuff
Old 05-23-2005, 04:55 PM

Here is a review of his latest informercial link

His book seems to be about as useful as those e-books that purport to tell you how to cheat on Party Poker.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:25 PM

I dont know anything about this book or this guy, but I just want to say that Napoleon Hill was brilliant, and Think and Grow Rich is a must read for anyone playing poker seriously for profit.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Medical science believes that thoughts could never alone cure or cause disease."

[/ QUOTE ]

This was certainly true circa 1955.

Actually medical science is very interested in how and why thought help us heal. Cognitive psychology is an integral part of cancer treatment by now. If not directly in a shrink/patient relationship then in the design and running of entire hospital wards. (Cancer is pretty much the ultimate corporeal disease, hence the specific example.)

From the quotes you had it sounds like he found a few nuggets of truth, and then built some demented fantasy castle on them, totally losing touch with reality.