Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 05:16 PM

Default A Reminder

Isura's post contained some interesting stuff as well as the comment "I like the raise preflop (with 79o) but that's cuz I'm lag!" then I see *loc: 25NL*

Anyway, I am convinced that to win the most at 1-2 to 2-4 you do not need plays like this. LAG play in general is heavily romanticized in this forum and is often not nearly as good as people think it is.

Isura's play in that thread is marginal +EV at best . I am inclined to say that it is actually a losing play, but even if it did win something, it wouldn't be winning much very often. It is incredibly risky and does not have much upside.

Anyway, my point is that to climb in stakes you do not need to worry about this stuff and you do not need to open in early/mid position with unsuited one gappers.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: A Reminder

But it's FUN FUN FUN. You should consider the FUN FUN FUN aspects of poker as well.

Uh, yeah, unsuited one gappers aren't the greatest hands.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:20 PM

I mean I consider myself to be a pretty solid player, but that doesn't mean I am predictable. It is easy to got too nuts with opening hands, but you can skip the crappy offsuit hands and still be like 28/15 with a wide range that is hard to read.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:21 PM

I think you dont have to play 97o in NL ever... unless BB in unraised pot. If you want to mix it up, do it when they are in the same suit.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:21 PM

im like 25/22 at 6-max 400 nl and i dont raise 79o preflop
Old 12-04-2005, 05:26 PM

I am not a big fan of 79o, but you really should be raising 810o in EP.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:27 PM

Lollerskates 25/22, that's the BOMB. I would hate to play against you. I'd have to reraise like 50% of all hands.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:28 PM

i know 79 offsuit isnt a very good hand to mess around with, but if you take this pot down, and show your hand to the table, could't you use their new found lack of respect for your raises in the future to win bigger pots?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:37 PM

Sheesh. Cut the poor guy some slack. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Isura's hand was 97o. The game was NL50. And it was 4-handed. And he was on the button. That's a whole world away from PFR'ing 97o from MP in full ring NL25.

I know what you are alluding to however. Here's something I wrote yesterday buried in a thread:

[ QUOTE ]
Well the table was playing pretty loose/passive I like to play suited connectors/1gaps in these situations from any position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is a leak. Here's the deal: The majority of games, the majority of hands within those games, at NL25 and NL50, and to some extent NL100, are played loose-passively. You can join in the limpers parades and exchange chips back and forth with all the other LAP's. Or you can beat the game.

The way you beat loose/passive is to play the opposite: Tight/aggressive. You'll kill the game with a TAG mindset because all the other players will still continue on in there LAP ways. They'll call your PFR's with 75s OOP. They'll chase with 3rd pair. They'll chase with draws. They'll make bad decisions with QTo when they flop top pair.

Position is everything in NLHE. You can be TAG and still limp in on the button/CO with 75s. Play TAG with an eye on positional poker and you'll beat the NL25 game.

Purge the junky play now. Firm up the foundation of pure ABC/TAG poker. Your bankroll will be increased, as will your confidence. And then you'll have something to stand on when you move up in limits.