Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Playas Club poker chips?

http://theplayasclub.com/catalog/ind...?cPath=1_69_71

Has anyone heard anything about these chips? Its says they're composites but I like the design. Reminds me of the Chipco suits chips. 15 grams sounds ridicuously heavy though. Could get a nice arm workout at the poker table.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Playas Club poker chips?

[ QUOTE ]
http://theplayasclub.com/catalog/ind...?cPath=1_69_71

Has anyone heard anything about these chips? Its says they're composites but I like the design. Reminds me of the Chipco suits chips. 15 grams sounds ridicuously heavy though. Could get a nice arm workout at the poker table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've asked for someone to do a review on them but there are no takers yet. I might have to do it myself. If the injection molding is up to par I think they'd be a formidable mid-range chip.

Ten
Old 07-04-2005, 11:02 PM

Thanks Ten,

Actually thats where I found the link to the chips, is from your "wanted review" list on ChipTalk. I really like the design, and am curious how they look stacked. I've wanted to break down and buy the Chipco suits, but I've had a hard time justifying spending 7-800 bucks on a decent sized set. Hell, I don't even host a game anymore.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:51 PM

There was a thread about this maybe a month ago--someone asked if anyone had purchased these chips. As I recollect, the chips weren't ready for sale yet. One of the chip designers responds to this site.

I emailed the company to ask if they sold sample chips (via their contact page on the site) but never got a response. I think I'd try to get some definitive response from the company that these chips are ready for sale before I gave them any money. It would concern me that when you go to the site, they don't have images of the actual chips but just of the chip design.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was a thread about this maybe a month ago--someone asked if anyone had purchased these chips. As I recollect, the chips weren't ready for sale yet. One of the chip designers responds to this site.

I emailed the company to ask if they sold sample chips (via their contact page on the site) but never got a response. I think I'd try to get some definitive response from the company that these chips are ready for sale before I gave them any money. It would concern me that when you go to the site, they don't have images of the actual chips but just of the chip design.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually ordered these way back when it was still in its infancy pre-order stage. I then ran into some financial trouble and had to cancel the pre-order and got my money back.

When the first batch was made, he accidentally sent me the set I had ordered anyway. I contacted him about it and asked if he wanted me to forward them to someone who was waiting on an order since he had sold out. Before sending them out, I got to check them out and play around with them a little bit.

They are heavy...very very heavy. The graphic is a sticker, but it has a silk screening to it and it is not apparent that it is a sticker. The design looks really nice, even up close. They werent very slick, but also did not have a huge tactile feel to them.

Overall for the money, I felt they were a decent value compared to the rest of the composite slug chips out there. Too heavy for me though and I am very much a compression molded clay chip person, so I don't like much else.

The guy who runs the company is a nice guy who frequents another board I read. He seems to be completely legit, though I will not vouch for him totally heh. I can say that I ordered chips and I got them anyway, even though I cancelled [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but of course could not keep them in good conscience.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:29 PM

Thanks Clone,

Sounds like they would be too heavy for my tastes. I have some of the 13g pro clay chips, and even those have quite a bit of heft to them. How did the chips sound? I imagine there was a metal insert for them to be that heavy. Did they shuffle well? The 13gs I have are a little harder to shuffle big stacks, but that could be because of their chalky feel.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Clone,

Sounds like they would be too heavy for my tastes. I have some of the 13g pro clay chips, and even those have quite a bit of heft to them. How did the chips sound? I imagine there was a metal insert for them to be that heavy. Did they shuffle well? The 13gs I have are a little harder to shuffle big stacks, but that could be because of their chalky feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

They sounded ok, they had a "thud" to them, not a metal clank. They shuffled ok as well, I could shuffle about 10-12 of them without a problem, as a reference I can shuffle 20 clays without much effort.