Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2004, 01:49 PM

Default Playing AQ against a 3-bet

Fairly new to the table and I am unfamiliar with my opponents--assume they are typical 5/10 players.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Rico is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Rico raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, Rico calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP1 calls, Rico ???

Pretty basic.... but who folds, who calls?

--Rico
Old 11-25-2004, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Playing AQ against a 3-bet

Well he 3-bet you out of the SB, AQ is only beating AJ, AT, etc. And I suppose you cannot assume your outs are all that clean. Probably fold it

-Sent
Old 11-25-2004, 02:30 PM

I would like your hand a lot better right now, if you had the ace of diamonds.

But, you have two overcards, and the third nut back door flush draw, and you are closing the action in a moderately large pot. I think that taking one off, and seeing what happens right now is probably right, or at least not too wrong. If I didn't have a diamond at all, I would probably fold this, so I think the decision is probably fairly thin.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:17 PM

I fold here. There is a caller btw you and the SB and every possible out you have is tainted.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:18 PM

assuming SB is a decent player i say that he's most likely sitting on a pair TT-AA (maybe even 99), or maybe AK, AQ. Re-Raising you means that he either has a monster AA, KK, QQ, or he wants to shorten the field with JJ TT or 99. Given your raise and then both calls he can probably put you on a big cards (your call means you don't have AA or KK). It doesn't look like the flop would have hit a typical 5-10er playing like SB. I say call and hope to hit a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or A, and play a Q (and A) if hit carefully. If you called the preflop bets and the flop probably didn't help SB then i think you should call on the flop as well.

Of course SB could just be Loose Wired on this hand and have either a monster or nothing, but barring a read, and given the preflop play i think it's worth a call to fish a little. (note if you do catch a monster on the river, it looks like you'll get payed off).

-little fish
Old 11-25-2004, 04:40 PM

Bob:

[ QUOTE ]
I would like your hand a lot better right now, if you had the ace of diamonds.

But, you have two overcards, and the third nut back door flush draw, and you are closing the action in a moderately large pot. I think that taking one off, and seeing what happens right now is probably right, or at least not too wrong. If I didn't have a diamond at all, I would probably fold this, so I think the decision is probably fairly thin.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much my thinking......Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 12:1 closing the action....probably pretty close.

I called and the hand played out like so.....

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Rico is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Rico raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, Rico calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP1 calls, Rico calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP1 folds, Rico calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Rico calls.

SB has KK.

So, having lost this, I was rethinking whether peeling one off here was not as close as I thought.

--Rico
Old 11-25-2004, 04:58 PM

You win some, you lose some, next hand. If he had JJ or AK, you would be really happy with your decision.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:25 PM

Take one off, had it been HU, then you need the A to do it as the pot is smaller.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:49 PM

JJ is close, as you're a 73-27 dog but you 7 outs are all clean, but with AK, you're an almost 4-1 dog with chop outs because of the paired flop, but you have reverse implied odds problems if an A hits, reverse implied odds problems as 6 of the 12 possible AK combos have at least one bigger diamond than your Q, and possible reverse implied odds problems if you make bad river calls with A high after picking up an flush draw on the turn and failing to improve.

You also have the other fella in the middle to contend with. 12 big bets is a nice price, but I think I would fold, as you opponenet crushes you with AA (3), KK (6) and QQ(3), 2 AAs and 3 KKs have a bigger flush draw, and all put a hurting on you when you turn a Q. And given your oppoennts strong range of hands, I don't think you will be able to profitably semi-bluff a turned diamond.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:29 PM

(I'm sure I posted this earlier but can't find it - here we go again).

Pokerstove gives you 17% equity vs typical SB 3-better (AA-TT, AK) and an MP limper (88-22,A9s-A2s,KTs-K9s,QJs-Q9s,JTs-J9s,ATo,KJo)

So a call seems in order.

ZB

PS First time user of Pokerstove, so maybe I've misused it.