Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 02:23 PM

Default blind defense with 89 off

PokerStars 30/60 Hold'em (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 4.25 BB

villain is very loose, he can fold rather quickly.
what do you think about check raising flop, folding to a three bet / check folding turn if he doesnt three bet flop ?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: blind defense with 89 off

they are all decent unlike the way you played it. you never knew where you were at
Old 11-23-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars 30/60 Hold'em (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 4.25 BB

villain is very loose, he can fold rather quickly.
what do you think about check raising flop, folding to a three bet / check folding turn if he doesnt three bet flop ?

[/ QUOTE ]

He raised pre-flop from MP2, indicating a strong hand. Personally I would have folded this pre-flop without a second thought.

However, if he's so loose that you're convinced that he could be raising with almost anything and feel the need to defend with your 98 unsuited, the correct play would have been to c/r him and then bet out on the turn. If you get any resistance, you fold.

Folding pre-flop would have cost you $30.
The way you played it cost you $90 -- and villain would have played that hand the same way no matter *what* had flopped, based solely on your weak play.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:57 PM

I dont defend my blind in an eight handed game with 89o.I think a turn c'r would have been the best line if you can fold to a 3-bet.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:06 PM

I'd fold preflop not because it's 8 handed, but where the raiser was.

I don't like check/raising turn. Nearly every hand hit, and 2 pair is calling down and if you check river, he'll probably bet.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:21 PM

I meant to add that in my post, regarding the position of the PF raiser. I dont see his range being anything like it would be if he were the CO or the button here. My thought was that you would need 2 pair/better to call a turn c'r. Thoughts???

Tex
Old 11-23-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My thought was that you would need 2 pair/better to call a turn c'r. Thoughts???

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, or maybe a strong tp, AK or so. But review the board and review what type of board we are check/raising an early preflop raiser.

I think this falls in the category of the mistakes made by people of semi-bluffing into unbluffable pots.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:29 PM

Unbluffable pot. I never considered that before.

Point taken.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding pre-flop would have cost you $30.

[/ QUOTE ]

no.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:19 PM

I think you can fold preflop here because the raiser (assuming they aren't so loose as to have a real chance of having one card 7 or less) has you out of position and your hand is not good. You're not really going to like many flops with TJQKA in them, after all. If it was a button raise, I'd play it. But not from so far away from the button.