Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Blind war w/ a 2+2\'er

To set the stage: the deck had been hitting me in the face this session. Up $220 in about 70 hands here. So, it seems as if I'd been raising every other hand. I'm sure he was waiting a long time to 3-bet me, which he finally got a chance to.

Thru 200 or so hands he was about 20/19.

How did I play it, and how did he? Also, put him on a hand.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 12-08-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Blind war w/ a 2+2\'er

I like the river bet, since this board probably didn't hit him, but getting raised stinks. He's got an overpair and doesn't think you have a 9. If he does have an overpair, I think he played it well. If he just has two high cards, he's retarded.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:25 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

PF and flop are fine. I alternate between c/r and b/3-bet this flop depending on aggression of opponent. I think i like b/3-b here.

Turn is fine too.

I don't like the river bet. U never have a nine and i don't think he pays off with OC or a busted flush draw. He knows u have a pair, so he can play it perfectly. U do get value out of a smaller pair, but the board is pretty low and not in a typical three betting range. But of course tag 3 bets out of bb vs. sb tag steal don't fit into the typical three betting range.

Another consideration is that the flop was co-ordinated, so he may fire one more bet with some retarded K high if he thinks u will fold A high draw. This is very miniscule but a small consideration.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:10 PM

well, to really determine this, some questions need to be answered. 1) does he know that you are a 2+2er and 2) how active have you been, cause that can determine what his image of you may be

honestly, it looks like an overpair to me on his part after his flop and river action. I doubt that he is getting out of line with two broadways on that flop and then following it up with a bet on the turn
Old 12-09-2005, 02:47 AM

I would have played it the same but just check /called the river. He could easily have 77/66, but I don't think he would be raising the river with those hands. But he would bet them on the river once you check, along with the ones that beat you. Then just call.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:52 AM

I think you played it fairly well, but I dont like the river bet, calling his raise here gets real tough, and i like your showdown value, i really think its a possibility he had a good hand (aqs) and missed but figured u missed as well and were tryin to run him over...his raise on the river makes me think twice about this tough, and that a hand like 1010 could be very possible...
interesting hand either way
blind wars with fellow 2+2ers can be both very costly and very fun [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2005, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) does he know that you are a 2+2er and 2) how active have you been, cause that can determine what his image of you may be

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he knows I'm a 2+2'er. And, I've been extremely active since my starting hands have been awesome.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:59 AM

I like your bet/3-bet line. I feel like I'm becoming a one trick pony when I c/r everytime I'm HU in a blind steal/defense war and I catch a piece of the flop. I like this line to make him pay for raising the flop.

I value bet this river since I was almost positive I was ahead. I get value from AK or any A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] x[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. When I'm raised, I still think I'm probably ahead. I was thinking a weaker 8 at that point.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:12 AM

Either an overpair or K8 or so.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:28 AM

Looks like an overpair or filled set. Else 98s/76s got fed up with your bullying and took a shot preflop.

The river bet represents a hand that pretty clearly doesn't exist so I don't like it. All you had to do is check and he would have probably bet any pair against your likely unimproved overs.

I like his river raise with A8 or better.

You should remember that an intelligent player with datamined stats is apt to take a longer view of your image than the last few hands.