Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 10:59 AM

Default How many bets with the nuts?

LHE game and it's down to the river. Board is AAK48. You have AK. Action previous to the river has made it clear villain has a big hand, but he's somewhat of a retard. You both have over 100 bets in front of you. How many bets do you go?
Old 11-25-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Re: How many bets with the nuts?

to the felt
Old 11-25-2005, 11:08 AM

Even though there's a very good chance of chopping and it'll probably take 10+ minutes to bet?
Old 11-25-2005, 11:14 AM

Good point (about the time factor)... maybe that puts the rest of the table on tilt... potentially a good thing based on other posts in these forums.

I guess it depends a bit on what type of player. I've seen players go for quite a while with second and third nuts (quite likely based on the retard read).
Old 11-25-2005, 11:22 AM

If he's somewhat of a retard then make him be the one who stops.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:38 AM

I would definitely go to the felt with this hand. Full Houses are usually the hardest to read as the nuts, and if this guy is somewhat retarded I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn over KK after heavy betting. If it was something like KQJTx, I would give him more credit for having the A and probably stop after 3-4 bets (2 if the player was competent).
Old 11-25-2005, 11:42 AM

I'd say 4-5 bets, if he's a retard, why ruin his night? Punish him with a few bets if he's not having the nuts. Then stick to poker. If you like stealin candy from a baby, why not doin that instead?
Old 11-25-2005, 11:59 AM

I've gone 12 bets before preflop with AA in a full ring 20/40 game and I won the hand (without making a flush). It's not quite 100, but it illustrates the point. Don't ever stop with the nuts, unless freerolling is a possibility.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say 4-5 bets, if he's a retard, why ruin his night? Punish him with a few bets if he's not having the nuts. Then stick to poker. If you like stealin candy from a baby, why not doin that instead?

[/ QUOTE ]
While your attitude is certainly admirable, I don't think the two situations are analogous. To be the best poker player you can be, you have to be ruthless (while still playing within all rules of the game). It's nothing personal; it's just poker. I think a better analogy is like if the Texas longhorns were to lose their game this weekend, and PSU were playing some scrub and Joe Paterno saw Texas lost on the scoreboard and then told his troops to run up the score as much as possible (to try to gain points to eclipse Texas in the BCS standings). I really don't think there'd be anything wrong with it, since as long as both teams enter a competition in agreement to play their hardest against eachother, mercy is never, ever a requirement.

If I'm playing in a game with a friend (which I often am), and notice the friend isn't playing A-poker in that session or is tilting or whatever, I will tell them I don't think they're playing well. But if they stay in the game, I sure as hell am not going to go easy on them out of guilt that they're playing when they shouldn't be. Why should I? And why should Kurosh go easy on the semi-retard opponent who has willingly entered this game of wit, skill and luck?
Old 11-25-2005, 12:29 PM

I can't think of a single reason to not keep going unless I'm really not wanting to spend a bunch of time chopping a pot afterwards....but the Dealers will usually keep the chips seperate to see that doesn't happen.

about bet 10 I'd stop and take a REAL close look at everything though - I usually memorize my hole cards and never go back to them during a hand but eventually I'd have to recheck them before I kept betting...... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

and I've seen it go the other way...go 6 or 7 bets and the other player looks down and sees what he thought was a heart is really a diamond and just give up...until they do, get the money.

RB