Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2003, 07:59 PM

Default 26 The Newbie Chronicles: The Fat Lady Sings

Admitting failure is difficult but admit failure I must since I have failed.

I set out to accomplish four goals in the first six months of my poker experiment and I have failed so my experiment has come to an end.

Thanks to everyone who provided help and support along the way.

And congratulations to everyone who has beaten poker. It sure is a tough thing to do.

Thanks to all and to all a good night!
Old 03-25-2003, 09:05 PM

Default Re: 26 The Newbie Chronicles: The Fat Lady Sings

And congratulations to everyone who has beaten poker. It sure is a tough thing to do.

Some might contend it's virtually impossible to do if you never actually play.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:00 PM

So that's it?

No disrespect, but if we could all be pros in 26 weeks poker wouldn't exist anymore...I hope you're not giving up.

peace,
jHE
Old 03-25-2003, 10:32 PM

How ridiculous. If this is your attitude towards everything in life I can't see you achieving success.

-- Homer
Old 03-25-2003, 10:41 PM

Some might contend it's virtually impossible to do if you never actually play.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

It seems like this whole adventure has been a colossal waste of everyone's time, as it had no chance to ever succeed.

What's next? Trying to become a professional golfer by thinking about the game, then quitting when you can't shoot 59 on PGA Tour Golf for Play Station 2?
Old 03-25-2003, 11:08 PM

Default BOOOOOOOOO!!!!! And bullshit

YOU made it a failure.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:14 AM

How can you quit something you never started?

MDLM, seriously play in a 2-4 and see what its really like to play poker.

If after that you realize this isnt for you then quit. However you cant quit something you have never started.

Michael [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2003, 09:46 AM

Pathetic.

I warned everyone he had no desire to really play. LOL, dude quit after never playing.

MdlM, do you stop and consider for one second that your 4th of 4 goals was neither reasonable, nor meaningful? Forming goals with no knowledge of the game is silly, and you should be smart enough to realize that. And your tournament goal was meaningless for a few reasons. 1. 85% is a stupid number, and 2. tournament play essentially has nothing to do with accomplishing your final goal of $1k/mo for 3 months. Its like saying that in order to become a master Boxer, you are going to set a goal of becoming a master Grappler on the way. All it does is waste time and detract from the main goal.

As I said before, it comes down to the fact IMO that you simply don't like risking money. Which makes poker a very poor choice of a pasttime for you.

I am surprised, however, that you are giving up so easily. Since you are an author, I would expect a little more drive from you. I also expect a lot more intelligence. You essentially say you respect anyone who has beaten poker, yet you ignore the advice those people give you. Why is that? You respect them, but somehow you know better than them?

You received plenty of valid and correct advice on how to reach your goal. In fact, you would have reached your end goal of $1k/mo for 3 months by now if you listened to those people in the first place. You have nothing to blame on your failure but your stubborness and you should be embarassed to have wasted all these good peoples' time.

The funny thing is that you could take your remaining unspend $550, open a paradise poker account, play .50-1 and still reach your goal.

But I don't think you want to reach your goal.

Sad.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:22 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

"You essentially say you respect anyone who has beaten poker, yet you ignore the advice those people give you. Why is that? You respect them, but somehow you know better than them?"

at least he was consistent for most of this ordeal. (meaning, not heading any good advice) which is why i quit responding after about round 2 or 3 of these 'chronicles' after seeing him toss out idea after idea. yet still thought he could achieve his 'goal' with near minimal effort during the week

i found it kinda humorous after around #4 or 5 when responders still kept trying to get through to him. even though it was obvious he thought he knew better than the people responding. afterall, hes a great chess player who wrote a book on it. what could some degenerate poker players teach him that he couldnt learn in 1/10th the time it took them?

though, ill say, it was kinda fun to keep up on the posts, (i liked the format he used). but i also noticed that some of his study time did, in fact, increase the longer he went. especially time spent reading 2+2.

that said, there were a few good discussions that came of this. so it wasnt a total loss.

but you cant become a good/great player by doing it half-assed or part time.

my advice to new players wanting to know how to make 1K a month? read all mdlm's newbie posts and do the opposite.

see ya all...

b
Old 03-26-2003, 01:40 PM

I've read and responded to several of these "chronicles" but never really saw the forest (I didn't read the first few). So the following is somewhat blind comments.

[1] This has always appeared to be an excercise in writing and not an excercise in playing. (I can relate to that!!)

[2] You don't seem to have actually played very much.

[3] While setting goals is an excellent start for achieving things of value, the things you achieve are rarely the original goals. Part of this excercise should have been to adjust your goals along the way as you learned more about it.

Good luck.

- Louie