Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 10:06 PM

Default KK push...am I a donk?

This a a situation that I feel like I made a mistake, but I am unsure of what a better decision would be.
Pacific Poker Satellite to 30K guranteed. Top 39 get a seat in the event, with 1-39 getting the same prize. With 50 players left, I am 14th in chips with 3942. Blinds are 200/400 so I have a little less than ten big blinds.
Big Blind is 12th in chips with around 4000 chips. I am the small blind, and have been playing very tight, and am content to coast into a seat. It is folded to me in the small blind where I have KK. I push, thinking the big blind will not call risking losing and having to put the rest of his stack in on the blind the next hand. Sure enough, I am instacalled by A9, and he catches up and
I have to buy in directly to the event. This may be a really easy fold, but I just thought it was too weak tight to fold KK vs a random hand in the BB. What would be a better line to take in this situation.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Re: KK push...am I a donk?

If finishing 1st and 39th is the same thing, and you are 14th out of 50 left I'm going to assume you can basically fold into 39th and qualify.. this came up in HOH2 I believe, where folding pocket aces would have been a good strategy if say there are 10 people left and top 9 get the same thing (and the person wasn't in jeopardy of losing, let's say he was in the top 3)
Old 10-02-2005, 10:11 PM

That sucks, I probably would have raised 3x, then pushed the non ace flop. If I saw an ace, I might be inclined to fold, but I might lose all my chips anyways there.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:11 PM

the hand in HOH was very different. i push here, unless they are alot of really shortstacks i dont think u can coast in
Old 10-02-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That sucks, I probably would have raised 3x, then pushed the non ace flop. If I saw an ace, I might be inclined to fold, but I might lose all my chips anyways there.

[/ QUOTE ]horrible
Old 10-02-2005, 10:13 PM

you could raise to 1000 and then push if an ace doesn't show and check fold if one does come. However, i like the all-in bet too.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:19 PM

I folded AA PF in one of these not too long ago because I could coast to a seat. Turns out it was closer than I would've liked, as one more hand and I'd have busted. The push is OK. His call is awful.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:37 PM

So you got a bad beat. I would be inclined to think you would want him to call with junk like that. I dont really like the push, I would have made a raise to maybe 3XBB. Still would have pushed the flop no matter what.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you got a bad beat. I would be inclined to think you would want him to call with junk like that. I dont really like the push, I would have made a raise to maybe 3XBB. Still would have pushed the flop no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ]
retarded.

You are still 11 away, and you have less than 10xbb. I don't see how this is anything other than the most obvious push ever.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the hand in HOH was very different. i push here, unless they are alot of really shortstacks i dont think u can coast in

[/ QUOTE ]

yea I thought about that, but if he's 14th and only has <10BB's, then there must be a lot of extreme lowstacks.. I don't see him dropping 25 places when 11 away from qualifying..