Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-23-2005, 05:53 PM

Default what is the move?

blinds are 500-1000. 100 people left in 5k rebuy. I have 18,600 and i raise 3500 with AsJc. everyone folds except for button who has 9900. Button goes all in. What is the move?
Old 12-23-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: what is the move?

Are there any antes at this level? It makes a big difference if there are.

Unless you can narrow the button's range to JJ-AA, AK, AQ you are getting the right odds to call. Could he only make this play with the hands I listed or do you think it's a wider range that he is making this move with?

If he only makes this move with JJ-AA, AK, AQ then this is a fold.

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 74.4186 % 72.78% 01.64% { JJ+, AQs+, AQo+ }
Hand 2: 25.5814 % 23.94% 01.64% { AJo }

and with a wider range it is a call....

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 57.0431 % 52.20% 04.84% { 55+, ATs+, KQs, ATo+, KQo }
Hand 2: 42.9569 % 38.11% 04.84% { AJo }
Old 12-23-2005, 06:09 PM

there are no antes. Why would it make a difference? and are your odd calculations a total from those range of hands?
Old 12-23-2005, 06:12 PM

I really based my decision on odds alone. there was not enough information on this opponent to tell what his range of hands were.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:34 PM

Without a read you should fold here then. Your read on the villain wouldn't be specific so that you know his hand exactly, but rather what type of plays have you seen him make. Is he a player that has raised out of position with dominated hands such as Ace-rag or King-rag? Would he make this move with a pair of sixes just as easily as a pair of Jacks? Does he overvalue hands like KQo and push with those? If he had a pair of aces or kings in the hole would he make this move or merely call here so he doesn't reveal the strength of his hand?

There are a lot of things you can use to build a range. It's not an exact science. You get better with practice but you should really start putting your opponents on hand ranges. I calculate those odds using PokerStove, a free program you can download. Download it and play with it away from the table. Use it when replying to threads like this one. You'll be surprised how much it helps your game. Get enough practice with it away from the table and decisions like this become second nature in the heat of battle.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there are no antes. Why would it make a difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

Antes increase your pot odds, sometimes significantly. More so at the open-raise or first-call stage than to call a reraise but they do affect them nonetheless.