Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-23-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Hand #2, OOP trying to buy a few outs.

[ QUOTE ]
My first reaction is: Why do you raise the flop here? . . . you got a lot of folds but thats bad when you are drawing! You want people to call when you are drawing . . . only raise to protect when you have something worth protecting. (Ace high??)

BD flush and BD straight are MAX 3 outs . . . the straight isn't even that strong

On the turn You can't really raise for value against 1 opponent with the flush draw you picked up. Are you hoping he will fold?

Why do you raise the river? He has called you down so far . . . (if he is thinking) he most likely has a pair of T's with a kicker not good enough to raise with . . . Do you put him on a draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the response.

I raised the flop with the hope of folding a better A and cleaning up a few outs. I did not think folding was a good idea. I had no strong draws but a few weak ones combined. Since I was going to call, I thought a raise was slightly better for the reasons I stated earlier.

On the Turn, I wasn't betting for value, I was betting for fold equity.

On the River, I either let the pot go with a check or hope I can fold a better hand. I thought I had the odds to try to get him to fold.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:15 PM

Fold the flop. You have nothing OOP with 3 other players to act behind you.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) On the flop, I have an overcard, a backdoor flush draw and a backdoor straight draw. I check the flop, The Button bets which I felt he would do regardless of the flop if all checked to him.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see how you can give yourself more than 3 outs here. Getting 11-to-1 with 3 players left to act behind and a good chance that hitting means a second best hand - this seems like a really, REALLY easy fold.

[ QUOTE ]
4) I thought that if I raised the flop, a couple of things might happen. 1) Might knock out a higher A,

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see AJ-AK folding here. in a LIVE game people gambool. That leaves the only hands worth folding being A8/A9. It's just not worth it.

[ QUOTE ]
It might buy me a free card (yes I am OOP, but often I can check raise on the flop and not get bet into after I check the Turn).

[/ QUOTE ]
With an AGGRESSIVE player acting last?!?

[ QUOTE ]
5) The turn, I picked up a few more outs, and the flop call from an aggressive villain told me that he was probably not really happy with his hand. I bet out again hoping to fold him. I didn't.

6) The River sucked. I didn't hit my outs. I am not calling with A7 but I will bet with it. I felt that a bet was my only hope to win the pot. I felt I had a better than 8:1 odds he'd fold a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just don't think that in a LIVE 3/6 game we should be trying to fold out better hands. Your odds of folding a better hand in this spot are not even remotely close to the odds the pot was offering at this point IMO.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:15 PM

To crunchy1. Solid commentary.

Point 1. I don't see how you can give yourself more than 3 outs here

Is the consensus that my Ace has no out value whatsoever. I counted 2.5 or so for the backdoors and a couple for the ace.

Point 2. I don't see AJ-AK folding here.

From the Villain or from The other players? I see the villain calling but not any of the others. If Villain has AJ or better, He will call but may not stick around for showdown.

It seems as if the consensus is that this is spewing. I will look at it.

1) I think preflop is fine (per me and majority)

2) The raise on the flop is suspect per majority (so fold>raise>call?)

3) The Turn is read dependent but majority says check/call vs bet

4) The River is fine IMO but most say check/fold

Thanks for any and all input.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how you can give yourself more than 3 outs here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? 1.5 outs for the flush and about 1.3 for the straight and even without the ace outs we are looking at almost 3 outs. I would estimate about 3.6 myself, and I think a call on the flop would not be horrible at all. I think it depends on how often someone else c/r's.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:53 AM

Definately spewing. He has you beaten here almost every time. When he doesnt fold to your turn bet I do not see how you can bet out again on the river.

The only hands he is folding here are hands you already beat (KQs, QJs). The line you took here is "OK" (with a very strong player read) as long as you dont bet the river but is definately not the most +EV (or the lowest -EV) line you can take on this hand.

I think a call on the flop is much better, especially if its your standard 3/6 live game where you are expecting at least some of the limpers to come along for the ride as well.

Check/folding the turn UI.

If it gets checked through to the river, I am again strongly leaning towards check/fold.