Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 02:32 PM

Default To bet or not on 7th street? New player question

I just started playing stud a few weeks ago. I play 2/4. I have been debating with myself about an issue that comes up very often in the games I play in, and I thought I would post about it and see what you more experienced players have to say. Lets say that we have the following situation, I bet every round and got called by the other player on each round. I have my man on a flush draw, and just for fun lets assume that all his hearts are live on 6th.

Me: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Him: xx8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] X

I see a lot of players check the two pair here for fear that the opponent has made their flush. I usually bet my two pairs for two reasons. First, my opponent is an underdog to make his flush on 7th, so I see no reason to assume that he made the flush. Second, my opponent will probably call me with a smaller two pair and maybe even a pair of kings, and I'd hate to check down the best hand. Is this bet correct, or should I check and call?
Old 11-22-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: To bet or not on 7th street? New player question

Easy bet. Here's a good essay on value betting: link
Old 11-22-2005, 03:18 PM

I also think in that situation, you have to remember they're not always on a flush draw.....especially at these limits. I'll bet there most of the time; the only time I'll check is if I feel pretty strongly that my opponent was on a draw, and he'll bet even if he misses it.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:32 PM

that is a good article.

The one difference in the hand is that here we are talking Qs, not aces. The villain hit a K on board and it is possible he is playing pocket aces weak or had some junk hold 'em AK hand that hit (less likely once we get a K on 6th of course). Couple this with the fact that one condition here is that we havent seen any other hearts in the hand and i think this is a real close call.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:54 PM

Sorry, but no way is this close. Betting dry queens would be what I call close.
And I’d certainly be betting dry aces.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:01 PM

I would typically bet this first to act, folding to a raise against typical opponents. Villian may call with one pair when he misses his flush draw. He might just call with a bigger two pair. Depends on the opponent though...if you know he will bet any hand if you check and he whiffed then a check is in order since he won't call busted. But typically what happens is, if you check, you get even the donkiest players to play great against you: they will bet hands that beat you and check hands that don't (but that they might have called with).

So you instantly lose value. Obv. player dependant but I'm betting most of the time here. But that's me, I like to bet.

Jeff
Old 11-22-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy bet. Here's a good essay on value betting: link

[/ QUOTE ]

Good article Roland, I think I play a little too passive on the river sometimes... I would definitely bet this hand on the river though.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:21 AM

If you think he will call you with a small pair on the end, and never raise as a bluff, then you can bet-fold.

If you think he will bluff his missed draw, then you should check-call.

If you think he won't call or bet without a flush, then you can check-fold.

You should read seven card stud for advanced players, the section in super system 1 on seven card stud, and the theory of poker for a better discussion on what to do when you are heads up on the end.