Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Small blind epiphany.

1/2 Blind Structure

Preflop: Jeff is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>.

Button 20/11/1.6 (Full ring stats)
BB 54/0/.5 (Ditto)

Why shouldn't I cold-call here?
Old 10-03-2005, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Small blind epiphany.

you are basically getting 3-1 pf. doesn't look like that good of odds vs a 11 pfr.

-------assuming 1/2 blind structure
Old 10-03-2005, 09:19 PM

I don't know if I like playing K6s there, but I can definitely see merit to cold calling with other hands such as J9s.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:46 PM

edit-im an idiot, totally missed BBs stats.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:52 PM

Are you asking this because you think it's a virtual certainty that the BB will cold-call 2 more if you three-bet? I do think that the bloated pot if he calls is going to offset any preflop momentum you get from 3betting.

In situations like this one, I usually just toss it. Finding places where coldcalling is best is an interesting subject, though.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:16 PM

Can't wait for the epiphany. It is a part of the game that confuses me, defense of the SB to a steal. This hand not so much because I think this is an easy fold but change it slightly how about K9s or K6s to a more aggresivr PFR, although 11% pfr full ring is aggresive.
The 3bet or fold with a loose big blind has always troubled me but I usually just follow the Emperor, clothes or not.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Button 20/11/1.6 (Full ring stats)

[/ QUOTE ]

its been a couple hundred thousand hands since i played full ring, so i wasn't really aware that 11 is agg.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually just follow the Emperor, clothes or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some more fuel for the fire:

equity (%)
32% { K6s }
41% { 22+, A2s+, K6s+, Q7s+, J7s+, T7s+, 97s+, 87s, A2o+, K9o+, Q9o+, J9o+, T9o }
27% { random }

I know hot&amp;cold equity doesn't tell the whole story, but there is a fairly big divide between 32% equity and 25% equity.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:17 PM

I generally think that Cool-Cing in the small blind is not good; however, ther are always exceptions. I'd like to know more about BB's play post-flop, but even without knowing, a decent hand (and I consider K6s decent) against an aggressive stealer (if that is what he is) with a loose, passive, generally bad player in between you and the stealer makes the CC a decent option. If Button thinks you're pretty solid, it gets a lot easier. You can essentially use the presence of BB as a weapon against Button -- when you choose to lead (maybe even with air but some sort of draw) into both BB and Button, Button is going to give you a lot more credit for a hand than he otherwise might since you're btting into a bad, passive calling station which you probably wouldn't do without a hand. When you're not leading, you expect BB to offer an overlay. As I said, I like to know that BB is bad post-flop -- but if he is, I am willing to ignore my "general" rule that calling a raise in the SB first-in behind a raise is a no-no.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:25 PM

i think its good poker to coldcall with K6s there. i dont like 3betting with it because it decreases your pot odds when you shouldnt mind a horrible postflop player coming into the pot with any 2 anyway. 3betting doesnt give you any postflop folding equity so youre pretty much pushing a losing hand and allowing the tag to get the best of you. id much rather let the bb in and play hit or miss since thats really all you need to do to maximize value when a chasing player is in the hand with you.